Battery wiring question

lameduck

10 mW
I have been reading up and researching how to connect 18650 cells in parallel and series. I understand how to do this in square or rectangular designs, but I don't know how it works in non square or rectangular designs. I am wanting to build my own dolphine case for my ebike and saw the cell configuration and I am not sure how to connect the five cells with the RED square around them in the attached picture? Is there a good resource to learn how to connect non square or rectangular battery packs?

Attachments

• BatteryLocation6.png
    BatteryLocation6.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 389
You might try checking out this topic:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=68005

There are 50 cells in that pack, so probably 10s5p. That doesn't fit nicely with the geometric layout, so you'd really need a custom welding pattern for each parallel group. Maybe start with a group of 5 on the right in one polarity, then move left with groups of alternating polarity.

If you could squeeze 2 more cells in that top row you could do 13s4p. This would allow you to do an 11s4p rectangular section with two odd groups at one end, but probably better to have a 5s4p section on the left and then do irregular-shaped groups as you move right. You'd finish up with the square group of 4 cells in the top corner.

If you plan to pull significant current, be sure you use plenty of nickel strip for proper current sharing, since the current won't just be traveling in nice rows.

Back