10Ah IN, 7Ah OUT?

rg12

100 kW
Hey Guys,

My 10Ah 21S LiPo charges for exactly 4 hours from empty to full with a 2.5A charger (no BMS on the pack).
I get the controller to low voltage cut off (a Greentime 72v controller) when my watt meter shows about 7 amp hours used (the pack is two years old (Zippy's)).

How come it puts out 7 amp hours and charges 2.5 amps each hour for 4 hours? it doesn't add up.

It does not charge at exactly 2.5 amps continuously... once the cells reach the end voltages, the Amps drop.. until they hit zero... this makes it slower .. and takes longer to fully charge.

30% drop of capacity with zippys after 2 years. .typical .. but time to manually check cell voltages very carefully if you do full capacity cycles.. never do full capacity cycles.

I'm checking balance constantly, all good.
Still don't know what is true anymore, I have two meters and both don't seem right...

Just found my old 100V 100A meter which always worked great and it was insync with my 60v one which was always reliable...seems that the new one that isn't accurate is showing lower amps when pulling high amps...
If I pull 200w for a minute or two, the new (non accurate one) is accurate just like the old reliable one, but when I pull about 50A+ it collects the Ah number slower than the rest.

Some guys draw 30A once in a while, and other guys draw 60A from their battery pack. The more you draw, the less Ah you will get.

So how should battery packs be rated? They are rated at a 1A drain in laboratory conditions. I know that...when you first realize that it is like being told Santa Clause doesn't exist. It is disappointing.

spinningmagnets said:
Some guys draw 30A once in a while, and other guys draw 60A from their battery pack. The more you draw, the less Ah you will get.

So how should battery packs be rated? They are rated at a 1A drain in laboratory conditions. I know that...when you first realize that it is like being told Santa Clause doesn't exist. It is disappointing.

But when the pack was new I've had a really accurate amp meter and it showed 10Ah passed when reached the controller's LVC.
I was pulling 45A back then...so still it should be pretty accurate.

btw, anyone know an amp meter that can go up to 90v 100A that calculates amp hours? (not watt hours or anything else).
it's best if you know one that doesn't require a shunt.

How come those little 60v ones can go up to 100A without a shunt?

It cuts at about 3.3v per cell and when it does it's all balanced.

I know that there is an "inner shunt" but how come the 100A external shunt is so much bigger than the whole amp meter unit that has a "built in" 100A shunt?

rg12 said:
btw, anyone know an amp meter that can go up to 90v 100A that calculates amp hours? (not watt hours or anything else).
......t?
Well, if you ignor the voltage, that certainly wont be accurate for capacity .!
..As Ypedal said, your charger is NOT putting 10Ahr into the pack.!
Use the same watmeter during charging to get a better feel for input .

Will do thanks :)

Would like to hear about 90v+ 100A (continues) meters that have an amp hour measuring...they all have up to 60v...

EDIT: My old 100v 100A meter that has an "inner" shunt has this part as a shunt:
http://www.digikey.com/product-deta...-llc/ACS758LCB-100B-PFF-T/620-1321-ND/2042746
and it says that it's rated for 100A (doesn't say continues or not...)
Can that thing really replace a huge and heavy 100A external shunt?

Back