Trickle current for BMS balance charging

NeilP

1 GW
Can someone confirm what I am thinking ...regarding charging LiPo with a BMS with a single cell balancing current of 168mA (+/- 20mA).
BesTech HCX-D131
If I want to ensure a nice balancing charge, I'd set up a charger to charge at that sort of current, so if I set a charge current of say 125mA I'd guarantee all the cells get balanced at the top voltage.

My thinking is that with charging with a normal bulk charger, but with a BMS fitted, a single cell peaks quickly and takes an age to drop to release voltage for BMS to allow charge again. When charger kicks back in, if overall pack voltage is lowish, so charger kicks in with a large current, and cell peaks again.

Just thought that if I set a low charge current, the high cells would be bleeding off at the same rate as charge current.
Or do the BesTech BMS's not work like that, so soon as any one cell hits HVC and starts bleeding off, does it de energise the charge FET and kill the charge current ?

I have multiple spare units so I'll just turn one down as a trickle/balance unit.
Obviously not leave it on indefinitely, and unattended

Back