Adding battery capacity to EV

dirkdiggler

10 kW
This may be a dumb question or already discussed, so bear with me. Is it possible to just stack two batteries in parallel in an EV like the Leaf or Focus Electric. I haven't read about anyone doing this. Coming from Ebikes, that is an easy option to get more range. Why can't I just add two leaf batteries in parallel and double my range? There are obvious drawback in the added weight and room in the vehicle. Does the controller recognize the packs or does this need to be replaced with an aftermarket version? I'm interested in getting a Ford focus Electric and buying an extra pack if it is possible. Thanks for any help!

dirkdiggler said:
This may be a dumb question or already discussed, so bear with me. Is it possible to just stack two batteries in parallel in an EV like the Leaf or Focus Electric. I haven't read about anyone doing this. Coming from Ebikes, that is an easy option to get more range. Why can't I just add two leaf batteries in parallel and double my range?
The main reason is that the second battery won't fit, and the suspension won't support the extra weight. You also have to spoof the battery controller so that it reports all the right things to the vehicle controller, and replicate the battery disconnects.

But if you do all that - modify the chassis to take a new battery, upgrade the suspension, minor changes to the battery controller - you could do it.

Alternatively, install pedal-op generators for passengers? :lol:

Another pack weighs 450 lbs. That's only two Americans in the back seat. The new 33kwh pack weighs only 150 pounds more than the older 24kwh. I'm more concerned with charging or controller not recognizing the battery. Seems simple coming from doing this all the time with bikes. Even over volting. Wish more were doing this, so I could follow their advice. The focus battery is listed for $20k right now. Probably need to just be patient. Once EVs hit that 150 mile range on compliance cars it'll be game over for Ice. Probably why it doesn't happen.

I recall seeing several projects where folks have added packs to extend the Erange of the Prius...and those use NmHi cells which are tricky to manage in parallel.
I Google search should turn up some of those

dirkdiggler said:
...... The focus battery is listed for $20k right now. Probably need to just be patient. Once EVs hit that 150 mile range on compliance cars it'll be game over for Ice. Probably why it doesn't happen.
You are forgetting the simple money factor..
For that $20k battery cost, you could buy a complete new ice Focus with a 300+ mile range.
Until EVs fall into similar price bracket as ICE , they will never hit the mass market.

Back