Fireproof charging bags

Timelord

10 W
Has anyone actually used any of these and had a battery fire contained by the pouch? I know one practice is to charge inside a steel ammo can, but it's hard to find one of those big enough for larger battery packs. I can charge inside my oven, which would be safe and free, but not a convenient location. At 25x10x10", this bag seems big enough for all except large triangle packs, and it's lightweight and inexpensive compared with ammo cans:
https://www.banggood.com/Extra-larg...function-Safety-Bag-64x25x25CM-p-1072802.html

But I wonder if these "fireproof" bags are all just snake oil. Would it actually withstand the heat of a bunch of burning 18650 cells? Has anybody here actually had a battery fire inside any bags of this type?

This is the only brand (the original inventor) that actually contains the fire and doesn't disintegrate. None contain the smoke.
liposack.com

More expensive than the rest but in this case, you get what you pay for.

BVH said:
This is the only brand (the original inventor) that actually contains the fire and doesn't disintegrate. None contain the smoke.
liposack.com

More expensive than the rest but in this case, you get what you pay for.
They don't make Liposacks big enough for decent size ebike battery packs. They're designed for small RC packs.

markz said:
Use an ammo box, with the lid slightly open for venting but the latch still on, or you can use a bbq
I already wrote that most steel ammo cans are too small for large battery packs. Current models are only 11" long on the outside and shorter still on the inside. The only ones that are big enough are old, expensive, bulky and heavy, like 120mm mortar boxes and older 30mm cans.

Luna sells big ammo cans just for this application. Theirs are 22.25" x 12.875" x 5". $33.95 Already has a vent hole drilled in it.

A vented steel can seems to be the best containment for a burning battery. You need a vent to prevent the lid from blowing off but the vent has to prevent air from getting in. If a pack is burning inside, the smoke will be going out from the vent and air won't get in. As long as the smoke exiting the vent has cooled to below the flash point of the solvent, it won't catch fire outside the can.

Back