14....or 16s balance charger?

jimbob01

100 W
hi...this has probably been asked b4..... ive been looking all over for a 14 or 16s balance charger...
are there any out there?
more importantly are there any out there that wont set fire after 10 min ?
any info would be gratefully recieved...

well i have a few 12s salvaged i3 block/ modules 120ah with no ballance board that im using to power an electric outboard
a couple of 14s diy e bike batteries
a 16s diy battery and various yuasaa lev 40 batteries that i would like to configure
so would like to find a balance charger capable of 16s or more where i can just make custom balance leads to suit my packs... looked at chargery but the bad reviews on that wasnt very appealing ...
anyone know of any?
thanks james

As far as I know, there are no longer any 14S or higher balance RC Chargers. Both Hyperion and and Thunder made 14S (LiPoly) chargers, but they proved to be unreliable and were pulled from the market. Even the original Thunder 12S charger (moderately reliable) has been replaced (upgraded), at twice the MSRP (now $200). Apparently, producing 10S and above balance chargers that are reliable at an attractive price point is a challenge for the manufacturers.

looks like there is a hole in the market here...thanks for the reply...bms on each pack it is then i guess?....

Close is a un9plus+ a 9s charger times two is 18s and a 16s is two plugs. If you have a working battery it does not need balancing a shitty or wrongly used battery DOES. I had both 1429 and two 1220 done no support. Jumk.

? Balance charger as a daily charger for R/C lipo only. Daily ever time all time . A battery build right used right will work right. A junk battery is junk. Don't build junk. What battery cells you using ?

What's the capacity of your largest cell and how long do you wish for it to charge?

Hobby chargers are not safe to leave unattended.

An unbalanced pack is unsafe to charge/discharge in series. Use a working voltage alarm perhaps.

How about installing a bms but not counting on it to balance the cells. Simply to cut the power when the voltages go outside the safe limit (charging/discharging).

You then only need to balance the batteries every now and then on a hobby balance charger (frequency depends on the size of the imbalance).

The annoying thing with installing bms's on an unbalanced pack is that they aren't designed for that. They will be stressed and possibly fail. It could also leave you stranded away from home. They should be monitored but they do provide a layer of safety. A fire is hazardous, being stranded is inconvenient.

well at the moment i have a 12s prismatic salvaged pack that is relatively in ballance that im using for an electric outboard...im planning on discharging to about 30 percent b4 charging via a voltage adjustable large inverter (pack is removable)
to about 48v.
its a5.2kwh pack 12s with bmw 120ah prismatics
i also have some yuasa lev 40 cells i want to configure at different voltages to run other electric motors at voltages from 30 to say 60v..

ive a lab power supply i can use to bring individual cells up if needed... just looking for an easy solution with balance leads and a balance charger...

The easiest is to use a voltage alarm on the balance leads. At least on the weakest cell.

Balance the cells manually to the planned end voltage (top balance) then monitor them as you drain the pack. Locate the weakest cell and decide upon a depletion voltage you never should exceed when draining the pack.

Then just bulk charge the pack. Decide upon a safe voltage on your bulk charger that maintains a safe max voltage for that same weak cell.

Every few cycles check the voltages and balance manually and/or reset bulk min-max as needed. If it looks good prolong check interval. If not shorten it.

thanks...i have bought a voltage alarm and was planning to do pretty much as you have suggested...thanks very much for your reply and advice.james

This will work too...

Not all 5v PSU's will work so expect to buy a few varieties until you find ones that can.

You want 2 things in a PSU:
1. adjustable output voltage that goes down to 4.1v
2. Isolated outputs. This means neither the positive or negative output wires are in any way electrically connected to ground, line or neutral on the AC side.

You will be taking a lot of these little PSU's and putting their outputs in series. Adjust each one to the desired max cell voltage (4.1v).
You'll need to connect up balance cables between all the PSU's to connect to your pack.

The end result is each cell gets it's own power supply and effectively charges independently of all the others to 4.1v each. This is not the same as balance charging per say, but the end result is all cells are charged to 4.1v each.

12s just buy a cheap 6s RC charger and have two 6s sense wire and a neg and pos at the middle for the charger. As they should all be close in voltage to start with. You are the bms and monitor, monitor, monitor, I wear out the 4 -6s sense wires on my 24s no bms pack. The reason no bms is 20ah and quality cells. And had a bms drain one cell to death. For a 100.00usd you get a 12v power supply a una9plu+ and a battery nanny. Thru the sense wire balance charger .P.S. still haven't use the nanny but looked at it yesterday. Now it has a 6s and 3s plug out the charger but has 8s on the board. Look it over good frist

Back