Mating a 60v battery to a 52V 750w Tongsheng TSDZ2

scottyz

1 µW
Has anyone had experience in mating a 60v battery to 52V 750w Tongsheng TSDZ2? My motor will be arriving shortly, and still haven't decided on a battery.

A 60v (16s LiPo/LiCo/NMC/etc) battery is going to be over 67v fully charged, and at a guess is beyond the limits of at least some components inside the controller or display. If it is, electrical damage could happen immediately upon connection, or slowly over time, or not at all. (but the first is most likely).

If it's within the component limits, then damage won't occur, however, the controller may have an HVC preventing operation above a certain voltage, and if the battery is above that, it won't do anything even though it isn't damaging it.

I'm sure the limits of the TSDZ2 are posted somewhere in the big thread about it, but I don't know what page (there are a lot of them!).

There's capacitors in the TSDZ2 that are rated at 60v (poss 63v) from what I've read recently.

With a fully charged battery you need to stay below the capacitor rating, maybe even with a safety margin.

What you can do is to use low voltage sag cells and put more cells in parallel. That way you get less voltage sag when you pull a lot of amps.

You could if there is a bms solution available add one additional cell group in series and undercharge the cells to 85-90% to the previous total voltage. At 85% the voltage drop is much less so you get to stay at the motors top voltage for much longer. You also get loads more cycles.

Just need to pay attention to not completely deplete your battery as you will reach a slightly lower end voltage on the cell groups.

Scotty, Did you ever find out if a 60v (or 62v) (like a Greenworks 60v 5ah battery) work with the TSDZ2? Will it work with the open software? Did yto need to down convert it? Thanks

Back