Zero 2012 XU

Lucas_Berlin

10 µW
Hello

I have been driving a Zero 12 sinds 2012. I have been a very happy camper for years, though slowly the battery was dying.

Zero won't replace and won't help. Partially because my type is so old and was made in very small numbers.
I refuse to through the bike away. So what's left is building a new battery.

The battery of my type was only 1 year made like this with flat Lipo EIG cells. 18 * 2 cells, 1 block.
I have already dismantled the battery successfully, now I am desperately looking for the cells.

Over the years the size has become rare: 13cm wide and 22 high. Almost all cells on the market are wider (around 16)
Who knows if these cells are still available, probably under a different name?
Who knows if cells from this size are being used under other names?. Or who knows second hand cells that I could buy ?

Thanks from Berlin Germany. Lucas

The specs mention a 220amp controller and a 90% sustained max speed (100% burst) which guides me to assume the pack is rated at 200amps continuous.

If you have an 18s2p you have 100amps per cell.

We don't know the voltage. Perhaps you are running lifepo4 @ 3.65v or Lico/lipo at 4.2v. The specs don't mention it.

It is possible to make a new pack from higher density modern cells, depending on your space constraints.

Easiest is of course to use the same cells but if they aren't used anymore it could be because they don't have a long cycle life.

There are tricks to increase the cycle life significantly. Depends on the configuration and max/min voltages of the pack. By charging to 80% or 90% you increase the cycles dramatically.

Thanks for the calculation.

Yes i am running 3,65. I will include a datasheet from EIG 020.
Are there better cells that you can recommend (that would fit in the cassette 13 * 22 cm) ?

Gr. Lucas

Back