Where to buy cheap Li-pol batteries instead of Multistar?

Bublifuk

1 mW
Hi everyone. I am new here, but I read a lot of topics here before. I have DIY e bike. I have been used Turnigy Li-po batteries, but they start to be weak. I am thinking about change. I would like to use 26650 5000 mAh instead Li-po. But, no Li-ion is so hard as lipo, as we know, and cut off voltage for Li-ion is around 2.7 V per cell... It is to deep for me, because the speed of bike. But, I would like to order some Multistar battery packs from HobbyKing. But, during last at least half year, there is no sale of this batteries, moreover, they did not offer any Multistar packs for EU market. It looks like, that it finished. Do you have some other verified source of Li-pol cells, which are by quality and price comparable to Multistar? Thank you very much... Sorry for my weak English.

Bublifuk said:
Hi everyone. I am new here, but I read a lot of topics here before. I have DIY e bike. I have been used Turnigy Li-po batteries, but they start to be weak. I am thinking about change. I would like to use 26650 5000 mAh instead Li-po. But, no Li-ion is so hard as lipo, as we know, and cut off voltage for Li-ion is around 2.7 V per cell... It is to deep for me, because the speed of bike. But, I would like to order some Multistar battery packs from HobbyKing. But, during last at least half year, there is no sale of this batteries, moreover, they did not offer any Multistar packs for EU market. It looks like, that it finished. Do you have some other verified source of Li-pol cells, which are by quality and price comparable to Multistar? Thank you very much... Sorry for my weak English.
The high capacity Multistar packs have been superseded (possibly just a rebranding) by high capacity 12C Turnigy packs. Try searching for 20000mAh or 16000mAh Turnigy packs on Hobbyking and you'll find them, although they're yet to be discounted.

Hm, I did not find any sale of Multistar batteries. The problem of International shipping is very high cost, when I am from Slovakia in Europe, shipping from worldwide store is around 80 USD.

Bublifuk said:
Hm, I did not find any sale of Multistar batteries. The problem of International shipping is very high cost, when I am from Slovakia in Europe, shipping from worldwide store is around 80 USD.

You need to spend 150$ and shipping is free. I've bought the 6S 20Ah Turningy from the International Warehouse to Germany. Shipping was free but had to pay 45€ taxes afterwards. BUT they're completely sold out at the moment so you have to wait.

It is to deep for me, because the speed of bike.
If you do not run your packs below 3.75V/cell, they will last a lot longer. If you feel you need to go lower than that on a regular basis, you need to carry more capacity.
I used the Turnigy for years and it holds up well, especially the 25C. Better than the MultiStar I would say. It's the regular Zippy that I don't think much of.
There is nowhere else to buy LiPoly other than Hobby King, but slowly some LiPoly is coming back on sale, but not the big MultiStar bricks at big discounts like last year.
I stocked up when the MS 6S/10Ah bricks were on sale for $50 and I'm glad I did.
Just bought some Zippy Compact 7S/4.5 Ah that are currently on sale to try out.

Unfortunately, Slovakia is not in the list of countries with free shipping. So, I do not have other possibility as wait, if something will be changed and Hobbyking add some batteries also for EU market with some good prices.

Multistar gets the crap beaten out of it by good 18650 packs in terms of Wh / kg, $ / kwh, and does not even have the power density to make up for it.

Why would you want multistar? It's only good for putting together ad-hoc packs with little work.

High discharge lipo is another story, turnigy graphene or similar may really put a smile on your face.

flat tire said:
Multistar gets the crap beaten out of it by good 18650 packs in terms of Wh / kg, $ / kwh, and does not even have the power density to make up for it.
Li-Ion (18650/21700) have to be drawn down to < 3v to get the claimed capacity, That is a 25% voltage drop across the capacity range...and if you dont run them down that low, you loose out on capacity.
LiPo has given 95+% of its capacity at 3.6v...only 10% voltage drop from max
For the average ebiker running < 1000W max, the 16-20 Ah Multistars are more than adequate, also the simplest to build packs with.
When bought during the sale sessions, they are excellent value.

Just bought some 4S 8Ah Multistars in the UK reduced from £61 to £30.
I think its the last of the green stock as they are now blue.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-high-capacity-16000mah-4s-12c-multi-rotor-lipo-pack-w-xt90.html?___store=en_us
VERSUS
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-high-capacity-8000mah-4s-12c-multi-rotor-lipo-pack-wxt90.html
I wanted 16Ah but will just parallel pairs of these to do the same job.
Perfect for the BBSHD\

How is Poland for shipping https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61608. Lots of packs two 36v bricks equals 72v. Polish post.

Hillhater said:
Li-Ion (18650/21700) have to be drawn down to < 3v to get the claimed capacity, That is a 25% voltage drop across the capacity range...and if you dont run them down that low, you loose out on capacity.
LiPo has given 95+% of its capacity at 3.6v...only 10% voltage drop from max

Bad info. 3.2v will get you more than 90% out of a 25R and most RC LiPo still have ~20% in them @ 3.6v. For the rest, there's flux weakening. The real reason to use RC lipo is for high C rate.

flat tire said:
Bad info. 3.2v will get you more than 90% out of a 25R and most RC LiPo still have ~20% in them @ 3.6v. For the rest, there's flux weakening. The real reason to use RC lipo is for high C rate.
??..you may want to check and rethink that !
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Samsung%20INR18650-25R%202500mAh%20(Green)%20UK.html
You may get 90%, @ 3.2v, but only at 1.0A or less !
At 2C discharge, and 3.2v you loose 18% capacity (Wh)
..and even down to 3.0v it is still 13% unser max capacity.
And should you try 10C ...say goodby to 40% Wh capacity !
Compare that to even "Normal" RC lipo and then tell me where the bad info is ...
There is a typical 2C lipo discharge on this thread..
Note how the voltage drops after 3.6 v with only 8% or so useful Ah left.
That represents around 5% Wh remaining.
A cell with 10x the internal resistance will always loose against a low resistance cell.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5224
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=84949&p=1242374&hilit=Multistar+test#p1242374

I'm not sure what your point is, but I know what works for me. I've been using Multistar since it's been out and it's been great for my low-power ebikes.
When it was on sale, I could build a 12S/20Ahfor $200. Smaller, lighter and way less expensive than any round cell pack I've seen or used. Little sag until the end of dis-charge.
Icecube57 did definitive testing here;
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=61672&p=1162770&hilit=multistar#p1162770

Multistar is really outclassed by good 18650 in terms of Wh/kg and it's not even high C rate--it sags as much as good can cells. Flux weakening more than makes up for the difference in voltage drop. The figures I quoted were at rest, not under discharge. Now for a twist, my bikes run exclusively Turnigy Multistar and Graphene. The Multistar is only good for cheap easy to make packs on low power. That's why I use it.

Back