Laptop PSU with 60v+battery packs

geoff57

10 kW
Hi
With a battery pack less than 60v there is no problem finding a dc converter to get a low voltage (12 or 5 v) output, once you go over 60v we run into problems.
I mostly work with 20s lipo “72v” batteries, are laptop PSU’s still the best method to get a low voltage output from the battery pack or has a new method been found.
Geoff

What sort of load devices and Amp ranges are you looking to supply at 5V?

At 12V?

By laptop "PSUs" do you mean the power bricks usually fed by mains?

Or the internal charging control circuitry?

meanwell sells plenty of DC-DC converters up to 177VDC input. i got a whole shelf of them.

Hi
I’ll want it to be a 12v output for the 5v I’ll use a dc converter on the 12v. As for amps it’s to replace the 12v dc converter on a e-bike that looks like a Vespa so I’ll dad about 5A so I have plenty to spare.

Do tell me more about these meanwell dc to dc converters that go up to 177v.
Geoff

geoff57 said:
Hi
I’ll want it to be a 12v output for the 5v I’ll use a dc converter on the 12v. As for amps it’s to replace the 12v dc converter on a e-bike that looks like a Vespa so I’ll dad about 5A so I have plenty to spare.

Do tell me more about these meanwell dc to dc converters that go up to 177v.
Geoff

try their website:

https://www.meanwell.com/productSeries.aspx?i=29&c=7#tag-7-29

usually the SD-200 series is just fine. the D version goes up to 144V. a few can do 177VDC if you look. after that you just need to grab the ones with regular AC input ranges that can go up to 400VDC input.

buying these is another matter, some you can buy from mouser, digikey or arrow. others can only be bought from a main importer with a business account.

Had a look at the meanwell converters and for what I want it is too expensive since I use build my own battery packs with my own BMS I’ll put a 12v and maybe 5v output into the battery.
Geoff

I doubt you're doing any serious charging with 5A current @12Vdc? that's just 60W.

If you mean 5A at 115Vac OK, but then I never heard of any laptops going much past 200W especially these days?

20-30A is usually considered at the low end right?

Back