One failing cell

X2flier

10 W
I see some build-up battery enclosures being developed, and I really like the DIY 3D-printed concepts. I believe it is important for the average rider to be able to replace one failing cell, when the time comes. Since nobody seems to have a way to check for a bad cell without some disassembly and/or complex wiring, I want to propose a quick and simple method.

I have done some diagnostic/repair work with infrared photography, and it is amazing to watch equipment which actually may still work, but which flags brilliantly in the infrared. I know that IR images can be used to flag a failing axle/bearing on a passing train, for example, thus preventing an imminent train derailment. In a battery pack, I would expect to see one bad cell of a battery pack running either hot or cold while being charged or discharged, as compared to the rest of the remaining good cells. It would be a simple matter to take a few IR snapshots of the pack, and spot any bad cells instantly. It may even be difficult to ascertain the actual battery cell defect on the bench, out of the pack, but when the failing cell is tested thoroughly, the IR camera work would be verified.

When assembling battery packs, this method could avoid sending out "new" packs with any substandard cells inside. Simply charge and discharge the "new" pack briefly, with the IR camera recording, to spot any bad cells before it is shipped.

Now I see it is only a matter of finding an IR camera that has good-enough "sensitivity," so it can spot a cell running a few decimals of a degree too hot or too cold, and available at an affordable price. Certain cell phones have an infrared camera capability, given the right app or filters, but we might need something a little better than that (or not!). I don't have the resources to follow up with actual testing of cameras in this cause, but I believe some here can. Just a thought.

Back