Experience with Frogzskins for venting?

MJSfoto1956

10 kW
Anybody have any experience with using Frogzskins for venting your battery box? Seems to be an ideal solution for us.

see: https://www.amazon.com/Straightline-Performance-Frogzskin-Universal-Rectangle/dp/B003CJW8LK

51-7GrVOXHL._SL1201_.jpg

Michael

I'm not quite understanding the use case that you are suggesting. Could you elaborate on what function you are seeking from this material?

cal3thousand said:
I'm not quite understanding the use case that you are suggesting. Could you elaborate on what function you are seeking from this material?

Just to let cool air in and warm air out of the battery box. Keep in mind, this stuff is waterproof, so you could build a "sealed" box but then let the heat out without worrying about water/mud infiltration.

M

Materials that pass vapor (humidity) but seal against liquid water tend to work like 1 way traps to steadily accumulate condensation inside a device.

liveforphysics said:
Materials that pass vapor (humidity) but seal against liquid water tend to work like 1 way traps to steadily accumulate condensation inside a device.

Perhaps in theory you are correct. But I mention this only because this technology is used extensively by snowmobilers (who know a thing or two about water in its various forms). It is also being used by scooter/moped dudes to vent their CVT transmissions. AFAIK, it would be easy to solve your concern with an inverted vent that is "out of the way" of direct water spray -- perhaps under the seat in the storage compartment.

So the answer appears to be no -- nobody has any experience with this stuff?

I certainly do not have experience with those. But in my experience with ICE motors, in general, I understand that they create vacuum all on their own, which, in this case, makes air flow through a material through which snow/water does not.

I do not see a situation in a battery that would allow air flow without some external force. Air being a poor conductor needs a flow to dissipate heat.

So, in other words, I don't think this is the type of venting that would work. But if you do find time/money to kindly test it out for the sake of ES :es: , I'd like to know more about it. :bigthumb:

cal3thousand said:
I certainly do not have experience with those. But in my experience with ICE motors, in general, I understand that they create vacuum all on their own, which, in this case, makes air flow through a material through which snow/water does not.

I do not see a situation in a battery that would allow air flow without some external force. Air being a poor conductor needs a flow to dissipate heat.

The venting usage I mentioned earlier has nothing to do with the ICE motor -- these Frogzskins are being used to vent the CVT transmissions which can get exceptionally hot when pushed hard.

The concept I had was that most eBike battery packs are exposed to moving air. Add one vent in front (perhaps assisted with a scoop) and one in back and air will indeed flow -- assuming there is some space between your cells.

M

Back