Vaporware and failed EV companies

Toshi

10 kW
For amusement's (and disappointment's) sake, I'm going to waste a bit of time listing EV companies from the recent past who have offered up nothing but vaporware, or have folded completely with nothing to show. I fear charlatans and false promises have been more common than actual, shipping, viable products in this still-nascent field.

How I'm going to go about this is to go chronologically through my thread over on Ridemonkey.com, the alternative personal transportation thread, and then look up the current status of the companies about which I'd posted so glassy-eyed in the past.

First up:

index.php

Clever Cycles Stokemonkey. Current status: Out of production indefinitely as of 2011.

index.php

Mahindra Scorpio diesel-electric hybrid. Current status: Vaporware, as is the entire Mahindra lineup in the US. So much for even the small chance of having a compact pickup with a small diesel and a stick shift.

index.php

Toyota FCHV-adv, acting as proxy for hydrogen fuel cell vehicles in general. Current status: The Honda FCX Clarity is available for lease in SoCal, where there exist one or two hydrogen fueling stations, but for everyone else in the world and every other marque fuel cell vehicles are still entirely vaporware.

Volvo_C30_EV-1.jpg

index.php

news-scion-iq-ev-electirc-.jpg

Volvo C30 EV, Smart ED, Toyota/Scion iQ EV, birds of a feather. Current status: Vaporware from the consumer standpoint, with limited test runs available only for internal testing or testing in utility company fleets.

index.php

Tesla City Car. Current status: Promised for 2010, still vaporware. The Model S is in prototype form, at least, but the city car is years out even now, under the not-so-safe assumption that Tesla itself won't go belly-up.

Back