Report: China cutting rare earths output

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
:(

It's hard not to imagine this as a response to Trump's tradewar with China. If prices increase I guess it will further accelerate adoption of switched reluctance motors.

Time to invest in rare earth futures, maybe?

The Tesla-3 uses switched reluctance, and they achieved the same power as the previous motor (*which was very good), and for me the surprising part was that they achieved this in a slightly smaller package.

This suggests that they will be scaling this configuration and swapping their entire line of Teslas to SR.

The major mandate was for a focus on two factors. Reduce the price of the motor, so the model-3 is more affordable, and reduce the use of rare-earth magnets so car production cannot be restricted by anyone (*China).

The fact that they achieved the same power and efficiencies in a package that was not larger is very surprising. I believe it's only been since 2011 that IGBTs have improved to the point where higher voltage could be rapidly switched with enough efficiency to make this possible, but it's taken the Chinese announcements of rare earth's to speed up the process of testing SR as an option

Hwy89 said:
Check out UCORE rare metals V UCU

I was surprised to see their stock price is at it's lowest for nine years. I'd assumed it would have jumped up at this news....

Yeah the SP has me concerned because I own a truck load of it.
But my DD has me convinced that they are legit so I’m hanging on.
I think there will be an announcement of Govt. intervention to rebuild the US supply chain in the near future. The DOD can no longer buy from China.

Back