Two defective C695 Displays - advice would be appreciated

greenspark

100 W
2014 purchase 750W BBS02 - one of the first from Paul at EM3EV.com. Paul's 52V battery, C695 four button display. Runs like a champ and Paul has been great on support (we put together a buying group of 27 motors that demonstrated to entrepreneurs that NZ was a great place to open a shop for ebikes). But now the market has moved on, and it seems the C695 is an antique as dealers now offer built-in motors with less interest in kits.

A few weeks ago, while riding in the village, the motor quit on me. The display went blank, no power to the motor, dead. Pedal home time.

As I have several bikes, I began a process of elimination and found it was the C695 display (buttons OK, something inside the display case). I also discovered that if I unbolted it and tapped it, power would come back, suggesting something is loose inside. I swapped out the C695 for another.

Worked fine for a few weeks, then when I needed it to go to town, the replacement display came up with the Error 30 when I first powered up. Process of elimination confirmed it was the display. So I put the original intermittent display back on and it seems to work fine, although I expect it will quit again when I am furthest away from home. I have three choices and need advice on all three:

• Anyone know if intermittent failure is common inside a C695 four-button display and if so, can it be repaired?
  • Anyone know if an Error 30 (confirmed as in another C695 four-button display) is repairable, and if so, how?
  • Anyone have any recommendations for a replacement at a reasonable cost, either C695 or something compatible?

Thanks in advance

I don't have any answers to those specific questions, but if you meter out the connections while the system is working, you can find the two wires that carry battery voltage to the display, and create a switch or jumper that lets you short those two together, for when a problem occurs with a display preventing the system from working.

With many LCDs, the displays act as a "keyswitch", connecting the battery voltage that goes from controller to display back to the controller to power it's brain up, once you turn on the display.

Back