Newbie Help

Dammit45

1 µW
Hey guys, I'm new here. I've been into electric bikes for a couple of years, and I've built a few fast ones. My best being a 4kw mid drive 29er that i pumped 5,760 watts, or 72 volts 80 amps into, getting above 50mph on flat land. Much like many of you, I became enamored with electric vehicles; soo much so that I wanted to make it a career. There are many different ways to go, but specifically I wanted to manufacture controllers, and already have a few designs in mind. I lack the technological know-how, but I have the determination and the time to learn.

So i wanted to ask the community, What are the best courses / classes / math(s) to learn for developing electric vehicle components? Specifically ebike controllers. I have asked a few individuals this question and sadly they all replied that there are no such specialized courses. So i figured I would ask a larger community hoping that some one has knowledge of a course out there. If not, then confirmation that no such courses exist would also be satisfactory.

Anyways sorry if the post is too long, and thanks in advanced for the responses. :bigthumb:

You need to be realistic. The short answer is you're frocked. If you had what it takes you would be out googling, already figuring this stuff out, not asking on endless sphere.

The longer answer is you first need to understand how a controller works. There are a bunch of tutorials that explain this in any level of detail you want down to step by step video tutorials to assemble and program your own electric speed controller. Obviously, math and physics are ground rules and terribly important everywhere, so you should understand those to the extent that you're not bewildered by any related content you come across while studying electronics.

When you see something you don't understand make sure you learn that thing. And then anything it depends on, and so on. Paid courses are a waste of time. All the info's out there and if your brain can make something of it you can also find and assimilate it yourself.

If you really want to dig into it, then electronics / electrical engineering courses are a good way to go. Other then that, business courses would help if you want to start your own business. Learn everything you can about bike repair

Good ole' learn as you go is also a place to start, find a job with a e-bike oriented bike shop. Show then what you have built and see if they want to hire you.

E-bikes are kind of a specialty / niche market so don't expect big bucks unless you have a large and reliable e-commerce business.

Learning Mandarin Chinese could be a big plus. I mostly all comes from China anyway.

:D :bolt:

Welcome to the forum

Sounds pretty cool. Fast bikes are fun.

It really depends on how involved you want to get. A basic stepper motor controller ramped up for high amps would sort of work, and thats the sort of thing you could learn off a 20 minute youtube course, or similar. But there are good reasons it isn't done that way.
If you want a real controller that actually does a good job, that's a multi field engineering endeavor.

Aside from basic EE knowledge classes, and circuit design theory classes, you're going to need to know how to program. Any classes that cover micro controllers will be useful. And Since the controller is likely going to be using MOSFETs, classes that cover transistors or amplifiers will come in handy. You're also going to need to know how to design and build circuit boards.

Fixing and making custom bikes is a new niche area.
Most shoppers are clueless when their bike stops working and the people fixing their bikes are making some easy cash.
I new nothing of red and black wires when I got my first ebike wheel kit and had managed to melt a lot of the wiring.
Had to look up what the story about the red and black wires and why them melt when you do bad things.
Learned a lot if stuff over the years since then and still have a lot more to learn - its been a passion and def an addiction.
These days im always tinkering with volt meters and soldering diodes and relays and circuit breakers and crazy delta star wiring with open hub surgery.
Ebiking is still the uncharted country - its got a lot of growing to come and there are many avenues you can take to make this your career.
Police are still mainly turning a blind eye to all us big motor bikes as we pretend peddle past at 70kmph lol.
Eventually it will all be licensed and taxed as all good things are.

Back