2wd midtail Winter commuter questions

wardo

10 mW
Hello,

I am currently riding a Bullit bakfiet for commuting and work as a property manager but have determined that it isn't suitable to snow and ice conditions. For my Winter ride, I am looking at having a custom frame built, which will be based on the Salsa Blackborow, but set up to be electric. I have a .75km 6% climb, preceded by a lower pitch 3km climb every time I return home. I expect to ride in all conditions, lots of ice, and on salted roads. I am using a Bafang 1500w BBSHD from Luna on the Bullit, and it gets the job done, but I have fried one due to water (admittedly a LOT of water). For the new build, I was thinking of going with two hub motors. My thought on hub motors is that they are more protected than mid drives, allow me to be 2wd and put the weight over the tires. I am hoping that I can program the front to make 1/2 the power of the rear for wheelspin issues, maybe 1000w rear, 500w front? For axle width/type, I am assuming 135mm 9mm/QR front, the rear is an open question and can be customized as the hub dictates. I have a 52v, 24ah battery that I plan to use. My questions:

Is 2wd overkill for all but 5% of the time?

Is mid-drive a better option? Can I do mid drive rear with a front drive hub?

What geared 500w+ front drive hubs are there?

Geared 1000w geared fat hubs?

Given what I have said, and taking into account price, what set up would you recommend?

Thanks,

Wardo

Back