How bad is motor groaning?

E-HP

10 GW
Wondering whether the groan my direct drive hub motor makes from a standing or near standing stop, under throttle acceleration will lead to any sort of damage. Currently, my generic ebay 1000w hub is totally silent using a sine wave controller, except for about a second when starting under throttle. I don't care about the sound, but it makes me thing about lugging a combustion engine or pinging under load, which will cause damage over time, so I try to accelerate a little more slowly to avoid it. Given the simplicity of a hub motor, I'm not sure what would be damaged, unless it leads to something like magnets popping loose, etc.

Anybody experience motor damage that might be attributable to something like this?

Other than being an irritating sound, there's no issue at all. It's just the controller being unsure rotor position due to rpm being still too low, so it fires a few out of sequence pulses causing sound in the motor. A slightly slower turn of the throttle during the first revolution of the tire can make a big difference to silence an ugly sound during launch. I've been tolerating the sonic issue for nearly 12 years without it ever causing a problem other than the noise.

John in CR said:
Other than being an irritating sound, there's no issue at all. It's just the controller being unsure rotor position due to rpm being still too low, so it fires a few out of sequence pulses causing sound in the motor. A slightly slower turn of the throttle during the first revolution of the tire can make a big difference to silence an ugly sound during launch. I've been tolerating the sonic issue for nearly 12 years without it ever causing a problem other than the noise.

Great to know. Now I can just apply full throttle without worrying about anything but may a little wheelie when I'm fully charged. Thanks!

Back