A low-cost e-MTB Production log

QiaoNan

10 mW
Hi Folks :lol:

I am new here and found this website to be awesome. I have learned a lot of things, and I am planning to log in to this website every day. There are a lot of very good and very professional people.So I want to share with you the following electric bikes I am working on.

I come from China,Like everyone, I love DIY, like motorcycles, electric cars, go-karts, tricycles. In the past 8 years, I have produced more than 10 cars with my friends. More than 50 cars have been modified. They are all kinds of different. This time I want to introduce you to an electric bicycle program.

【1】
I have been making this electric bike with my friends for 5 months. It has the following characteristics.Also what we hope to do.

a. A good looking appearance. We saw a lot of good product designs on Google. (Example: Neematic/KTM/Stealth P7&otherStyle/Audi Ebike/Sun-Ron Lightbee/Harley Davidson Ebike etc.)

b. Lower cost. (The cost of the whole vehicle Below $1000) but the quality can not be too bad...

c. Look forward to the performance of the center motor. :shock:

【2】
Basic information

Image:
dd2-203.png

20190602145940.png

xiao.jpg

20190427231228.png

MG-4120.jpg

DSC04002.jpg

Parameter:
Aluminum alloy frame
Rated power:800W/1500W/3000W/5000W
Battery:18650/21700 48v/60v 20ah/30ah/40ah
Tires: 26 inches / 27.5 inches

Wheelbase:Around 130cm (Depends on the front fork and rear shock absorber)
Weight:Around 30kg (Different configurations have different weights)
More configuration can be seen on the website at the end of the article.

Based on 800W motor(rated power), 48V20Ah battery.
Maximum speed: 55km/h
Cruising range: 45-52km

【3】Log

1. We completed the first version of the prototype in March this year. (Iron frame: weight 51kg) The second version of the prototype was completed in April this year. (Aluminum frame: weight 43.7kg) The third version of the prototype was completed in May this year (weight: 36.5kg).

2. Re-creating pipe bending equipment and punching equipment in May and June
20190806100930.jpg
20190806100916.jpg

20190806100926.jpg

3. A total of 3,500km of tests were completed in May. (Continuous improvement, mainly want to reduce weight and cost)

4. A total of 14,000km of tests were completed by June (a total of three prototypes were tested). Contains desert, mud, gravel roads, rainy days. Not very deep puddles, various slopes, drop tests and other routine tests.

5. Give it a name and take some videos. Make a website with Wix. :lol:
[youtube]FcGTN31HV0E[/youtube]

6. In the end, we replaced most of the iron with aluminum (6061T6/7075) and the weight was reduced to 29.2kg. (A bit like losing weight, I am worried that the weight may rebound and increase. lol)

7. Consider the frame of the titanium alloy, but the price quoted by the material merchant is too expensive. We only bought a small amount of titanium alloy for testing, because if the price is too high, it is contrary to our original intention.

8. Also tested the performance of high-powered automotive motors, 20kw-35kw. But because of the size, weight, price and other factors, we still do not have a perfect design. At present, efforts are being made to solve this problem.

【4】Our purpose
A. If you need it, we will be in the later open source drawings and BOM and the corresponding production methods and tools list. Considering that he is an MTB, we need to reduce the risk of riding, so I hope to go through more long-term tests, such as: 100000km. :thumb:

B. [DIY KIT] provides the completed frame and related accessories to those who like DIY but have no time.

C. [Customized Service] Some simple modifications and customizations can be made.

【5】 Contact information

Sorry, my English is very poor, so our website uses Chinese. The data on the website will be constantly adjusted. But I can use the translation software to fix it. I can also do a simple spoken conversation. Therefore, I am looking forward to sharing with you.

Our studio is in China, I live in Beijing, but the studio is in Tianjin, Beijing's rent is too expensive. :oops: :oops: :oops:

What is the peak watts for the 800w motor? Because 55km/h with one gear usually takes closer to 5kw.

Looks well suited to footpegs and a motorcycle seat for the higher power units.

OP, my advice is to make a facebook page .. its free advertising and could go viral due to easy sharing across wide networks.. a high quality modular design such as this for 1 to 3K $$ has great potential for current market disruption in this bike genre.. :idea:

The bike looks decent for the price. Are there still a lot of Americans living in China?

definitely influence, OP says that.. but no mention of multiple speed gearbox pedal transmission at these price points.. maybe add another 1K+ $ for that option.. or overdrive cranks could be a bit cheaper option..

many bikes on the market look similar bc the form factor is the same just different stickers and some variation in components etc.. examples : numerous honda clones, stealth and all the subsequent clones, frey vs the high end ebikes with same form factor, the entire bike and moto industry is copy of copy of copy.. many bike brands are made by the same companies, example giant bikes actually manufacture many other brands bikes.. many of these emotos use copies of motoped patent drive train but with slight variation.. suspension designs are widely copied across brands such as specialized , horst link etc.. mx suspension is widely copied, ktm vs linkage, then the entire industry adopts those designs.. there's not many different ways to make a trellis frames with minimal tubes and max strength without them looking similar.. if I recall neematic was around 10K $ .. glad OP didn't copy that aspect:) ..

Take a look at MTB suspension bikes as indicated above. Now that the Horst and VPP patents have expired, many bikes have one variation or the other (the others having Castellano's designs). Sea Otter this year was nothing but a "sea" of clones.

The front wheel looks like it might hit the battery box under full compression. Also, doesn't the bottom bracket height look a little low? Otherwise, great looking ride.

QiaoNan said:
I am new here and found this website to be awesome. I have learned a lot of things, and I am planning to log in to this website every day. There are a lot of very good and very professional people.So I want to share with you the following electric bikes I am working on.

When people do this stuff and it turns out to be an obvious lie and a single visit ad, they should get banned and the threads deleted.

PaulD said:
Impressive! Really nice, clean design.
Do you seriously think you can offer it for under $1000? Those Maxxis tires alone are about $50 each, dealer cost. I realize those probably aren't the production parts, but that price sounds insane. A 48V20ah pack must be at least $200 cost in high volume.

Yes, it's really very difficult to reduce costs. Especially under $1,000. Especially some advanced batteries, such as Panasonic and Samsung batteries. Excellent forks, such as Fox, Rockshox, etc. And what you said about Maxis tires and other accessories.
So I can only choose some more cost-effective accessories. But their brand is not a well-known brand. But it's enough to meet basic cycling needs.

Grantmac said:
What is the peak watts for the 800w motor? Because 55km/h with one gear usually takes closer to 5kw.

Looks well suited to footpegs and a motorcycle seat for the higher power units.

peak watts for this 800w motor is 2000w :lol:

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
OP, my advice is to make a facebook page .. its free advertising and could go viral due to easy sharing across wide networks.. a high quality modular design such as this for 1 to 3K $$ has great potential for current market disruption in this bike genre.. :idea:

Thank you brother. :bigthumb: Thank you very much for your advice. I don't understand Facebook very well. Because in China we need to use VPN to break through the "Great Wall of the Internet", Facebook / Google are illegal browsing. But I'll stealthily learn how to use Facebook. But it may take a long time. Now I'm going to finish both production and testing. There are still many problems to be solved. Finally, thank you very much. :thumb:

flat tire said:
The bike looks decent for the price. Are there still a lot of Americans living in China?

Yes, there are few in Tianjin, but there are many in Beijing and Shanghai.

Overclocker said:
too similar to neematic i.e. a ripoff. not good for business to be labelled as a copycat. check out the surron original design. it's easy to come up w/ a totally new design. i've done it with coreldraw in my garage

Neematic is my favorite product, but unfortunately I may never get it. I borrowed a lot of Neematic elements from my own products. Of course, there are many other eBike elements. I will add many original elements to future versions. Thank you for reminding me.

Baron said:
The front wheel looks like it might hit the battery box under full compression. Also, doesn't the bottom bracket height look a little low? Otherwise, great looking ride.

Yes, the location of the front wheel and the battery box is risky, but it's not. I have redesigned the battery box. I'll upload the new drawings later. You look very carefully. Thank you, friend. :thumb:

flat tire said:
QiaoNan said:

When people do this stuff and it turns out to be an obvious lie and a single visit ad, they should get banned and the threads deleted.

Thank you for your reminder. I didn't know there was such a rule. I will delete my website, mailbox and all other contact information. I'm sorry to break the rules here.

Back