Ferrite core on Steps motor...

JensenL

100 µW
Greeting everyone,

I am building a complete e-Bullitt from scratch with a Shimano Steps motor (DU-E6001).
I came across a Ferrite Core(?). The dealer manual says it should be installed if the motor comes with one. Mine did not, as I bought it from a local dealer that closed.

Questions are:
Should I find a Ferrite Core and install it?
What happens if I install it and the motor do not need it (worst case)?
What happens if I do not install it and the motor needs one?

Manual says Ferrite core should be installed on Power chord.. See attachment

Thanks in advance

Regards
Rasmus
Copenhagen, Denmark
ATTACH]

JensenL said:
Questions are:
Should I find a Ferrite Core and install it?
yes it's better if you do.
What happens if I install it and the motor do not need it (worst case)?
nothing, it's like chicken soup it can only help & causes no harm.
What happens if I do not install it and the motor needs one?
IF anything were to happen it may likely take the form of various sporadic weird intermittent anomalous failures/interruptions in continuous power/response.
or nothing may happen, it shouldn't hurt to try without one but don't blame me if the throttle runs away.
i say likely only because if the manufacturer recommends having it on there it must be that under certain conditions/speed regimes some customers must have had an issue & this simple fix resolved it.

personally i wouldn't be overly concerned about it & run without one if i really had to while being mindful keeping an eye on things.
but since i have a bunch of these kicking around i would throw one on there to simplify my life should any problems develop as a result of it not being there.
if you need to find one, some plasma tv's & older ccfl lcd came with it attached to the end of the power cord.
typically it's located on the end inside the tv, some molded into the cord but a lot of them snap-on identical to the one in your pic.

Hi Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh,

Thanks a lot. That was exactly the (in depth) answer I was hoping for.. I'll go buy one today.

:thumb:

Back