Controllers compatible with Mac 10t @ 48V

Jatem

100 mW
Which controllers are people using successfully (smoothly) with the current Mac 10t and a 48V battery?

My PSWpower sine wave 20A controller is noisy with the Mac. I like the LCD8 display and PAS and torque simulation mode though. Not sure if it's worth trying the square wave version, or maybe modifying my sine wave by taking out the current sensing chip. Or I could try the open source firmware to tune the sine wave mode.

Just set up a MAC 12t on a KT controller. I thought 20a might be a little light, so I'm using a 12 mosfet 35a KT controller. I'm sure it's sine wave as it was powering a 1500w DD hub silently (the MAC is just as quiet and smooth, right from a stop).

My only caution when shopping is to make sure the controller you are looking at has a place to accommodate an external speed sensor. You don't HAVE to have one, but without the speedometer will drop to 0 when coasting.

Be aware that the MAC motor has very high eRPM (?), meaning that there are many hall signal changes every second, too many for many controllers. I tested my MAC 10t motor with the BBSHD controller, and it would work up to a certain RPM and then "quit". So I guess that for that particular motor, a no name cheap china controller might not work.
Today, I use the expensive PhaseRunner, and it works like a charm.

Phaserunner plays well with MAC10T.

Below 200 watts it's silent.

200-500 watts it's audible about the same sound as knobby tread tire.

35 Amp limited on mine no problems other than cooking an Anderson connector ( motor phase).

The 35a KT controller on mine is absolutely capable. I have silky smooth QUIET power from rpm 1 through at least 20mph (it's limit as set by parameters).

I am not knocking the PhaseRunner, only saying my experience would indicate it's not the only controller that will handle the MAC, the 12t version anyway.

Triketech said:
Phaserunner plays well with MAC10T.

Below 200 watts it's silent.

200-500 watts it's audible about the same sound as knobby tread tire.

35 Amp limited on mine no problems other than cooking an Anderson connector ( motor phase).
Any chance I could hear an audio clip of the Mac running with phase runner?

My MAC 1t motor is absolutely silent with the PhaseRunner, except for the mechanical noise coming from the planetary gears (I have learnt). So the electrical side of it makes no sound at all. (if I could get rid of the strange noise from the gears, it would be awesom)

Jatem said:
Any chance I could hear an audio clip of the Mac running with phase runner?

Sure.
http://www.triketech.com/Drivetrain/PowerAssist/MAC/MacHillClimbWeb.mp4

Any other controller suggestions?
I could try the em3ev infineon, but the PAS controller looks very crude. I want to be able to run a light level of assist at times, to save battery run time, and still be able to pedal up to a reasonable speed. The kt appealed due to the current/torque mode with PAS, rather than fixed speeds like a crude controller.

Em3ev controllers ( infoneon clones ) can take a 3 speed switch. My favorite still.

Mind you, they are square drive, and thus will be noisy.

Will the em3ev controllers allow for low power consumption but still able to pedal faster with some assistance, or do the 3 speed modes limit to a speed and stop assisting you if you pedal faster? I like being able to pedal to a higher speed, with some assistance from the motor, for longer range.

Back