One extra Hall sensor wire in my Pedego controller (6?)

Lazy rider

100 µW
Hi, I’m not really sure how to use this forum so I hope I’m doing it right. I love electric bikes and cars and hopefully someday I’ll have an electric car. Probably not Tesla, but I can dream. My question is this: I have an older 48v Pedego Interceptor bike which came with only a hand throttle. I’d like it to also have the Pedalec system so I could just relax my grip and simply pedal. My bike has a huge size rear wheel direct drive 500 watt brushless motor. I’d like to replace my old controller with a new one that has an extra connector for a pedal sensor. But the waterproof connector between my controller and the motor has 9 conductors. That’s a very unusual thing as normally all the generic Chinese controllers use 8 conductors to a brushless motor. The 2 + and - wires for the hall sensors, the 3 hall sensor signal wires and of course the 3 motor power wires. I’ve looked at some older Pedego wiring diagrams that came up on google and yes they show that the connectors to the hall sensors have 6 conductors in addition to the 3 power wires. Does anyone know what that extra wire is for? Could it be for a speed sensor or maybe temperature sensor? Hopefully I can get a new controller to run my motor, although it is working fine with just a throttle. Thank you for having the patience to read through all this!

Fyi, depending on what controller you use, some of them are looking for the speed sensor input or they shut down after a few minutes, thinking the bike is stationary, even though it's in motion.

Oh, that’s interesting. I’ll be at least aware of that possibility. Another question I just thought of is: Do you think I be would be able to buy a more modern sine wave type of controller that would be quieter from a standing stop and it would still be compatible with that old motor? I’m asking because I don’t know if you need a special motor to go with a controller like that. Thank you very much for your help.

Lazy rider said:
I’d like it to also have the Pedalec system so I could just relax my grip and simply pedal.

I’d like to replace my old controller with a new one that has an extra connector for a pedal sensor.

Rather than replacing anything in your working system, you could just add the Cycle Analyst v3 from http://ebikes.ca , and a simple PAS magnet ring and cadence sensor from the CA v3 to your cranks. Then you connect your throttle to the CA v3 throttle input, and the CA v3's throttle output to your controller's throttle input.

Then you can setup the CA v3 to moderate between the throttle, the PAS, and your controller, so it operates the way you like.

You can even add a switch or buttons so you can setup easy-to-access presets in the CA.

THe CA will cost significantly more than just a basic controller, but you won't have to deal with rewiring things to match a new controller, connectors, etc., other than the throttle. And you won't have to figure out phase/hall wiring combinations, or other wiring between the controller and rest of the bike. ;)

Oh wow, thank you for suggesting that. It’s an option I will definitely look into that I had no idea about. Right now I have a cheapie wireless speedometer that’s just ok but I usually forget to turn it on so then I don’t even know how far I’ve travelled. I’d just love to get into all the data the cycle analyst would show me and be able to add the PAS at the same time! I had no idea about that or I would have already bought one. Right now I’m going to watch some interesting YouTube videos about it. I don’t mind spending some more money because all the advantages will be well worth it. Thank you very much for that suggestion. :)

I like the LCD displays combined with a KT torque simulation controller. I have built 5 ebikes using them. I haven't bought from this vendor, but it's a nice price for a 20A 9FET model with display.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-bike-KT-LCD3-display-36-48v-20A-500W-9-Mosfet-Sine-Wave-Controller/163441990763?hash=item260de6dc6b:g:qW0AAOSw5qJcG1uE

Wow, you guys are so helpful and knowledgeable. That would also be a great option, in some ways maybe a bit better for me than the cycle analyst. Advantages would be: lower price, certainly simpler to operate for an old fart, it’s all I’d really need, gives me the quieter sine wave controller I wanted, attractive larger display that’s easier for me to read, wiring looks pretty straightforward, password lock. It’s really all I was hoping for and thank you so much! The only disadvantage I can think of is that I’d hope the setup instructions would be clear because it sounds like the vendor doesn’t speak English as a first language. And would that display be waterproof? My bike with the brushless 500watt direct drive would be a perfect candidate for that sweet package.
I’m not sure if I should ask this question separately but: How important are the brake switches on an ebike? I replaced my old cable operated front disk brake caliber for a sealed hydraulic unit and the lever has no electric switch. I’ve taken off the useless old rear roller brake and added the same kind of Shimano hydraulic disk brake back there. I know they sell hydraulic levers with switches but I don’t want to get into that. I’m a little worried about not having brake switches and I don’t really know why I need them. I guess I could wire up a kill button using one of those old switch wires. Thank you!

Back