Moto tube preferences?

HK12K

100 kW
Got my first puncture in 2000km. A 1.5" brad managed to poke it's way through the rear tire at a 45 degree angle between the cleats and ultimately the sealant in the tube was no match.

The rear wheel is a 16" Holmes rim with a 17x3.00 moto tire, but I haven't pulled it apart to see which tube is in there yet. Just wondering if there is any consensus when it comes to motorcycle tube brands or levels of durability for our applications. Will probably stop into the MC shop around the corner later today or early next week to see what they've got on hand, but before I do I figured I'd see what you fine folks have to say. Leaning toward something heavy duty, plus a sealant of some kind, but defer to those more experienced. Any suggestions?

I always assumed the moto tires alone were so beefy treaded that punctures were virtually eliminated. If, for some reason the wrath of the ebike gods struck a blow on your ride, just repair the tube and keep on moving. If it happens again, change the tire & tread pattern :?:

It seems certain to me that the differences between the toughest and weakest inner tubes would be much less than small differences between tires. The tube's job is only to contain air, and not resist anything else.

In the cycling world, latex tubes are regarded as somewhat less vulnerable to pinch punctures than butyl tubes, but at the cost of being much more permeable to air (and this requiring more frequent topping up). But no tube is resistant to penetration by sharp foreign objects. So-called thorn resistant tubes work by being thick enough that some thorns are not physically long enough to penetrate all the way through them, not by being resistant to penetration.

Saw a video of someone cutting the old tube and wrapping it over the new one, almost like a jacket. Going to try that on my next flat.

Found it:
https://youtu.be/0kVBBHLvA-c

shortcircuit911 said:
Saw a video of someone cutting the old tube and wrapping it over the new one, almost like a jacket. Going to try that on my next flat.

Found it:
https://youtu.be/0kVBBHLvA-c

I've used that method before. It makes the tire heavier and draggier, but it does provide some additional protection.

Nothing would have prevented this one, unfortunately. Still though, 1 flat in 2000 km isn't too shabby.

Was just wondering if people thought it worthwhile going with the HD style tubes vs the regular ones, or if there were any brand preferences, but as mentioned above if something has poked through the tire that far it really doesn't much matter what tube is in there.

Still haven't had an opportunity to stop into the shop for a replacement, but will hopefully get a chance later today. The place near my house keeps bankers hours.

Update: Made it over there. Traded 19 loonies for a Kenda and we're back in business.

Back