Speed limit 25km

SaladFish

10 W
Hello
A friend of a friend in some country far away asked me to post this question for theoretical reasons.
I am interested to know if there is an untraceable way to:

Disable 25km limit on a pedlec?
Enable throttle?

If you were given this ebike you would be unable to determine if this method was used or not.

Knowing a bit more about the specific bike in question might help.

HK12K said:
Knowing a bit more about the specific bike in question might help.

The bike is theoretical
It has an EN15194 compliant motor.

Let's say it is this one.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/26-1000W-Front-Wheel-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-Kit-Conversion-E-Bike-Cycling-Hub/132103004311?epid=21031263222&hash=item1ec1f3e097:g:iWAAAOSwnO5cquMH

SaladFish said:
Hello
A friend of a friend in some country far away asked me to post this question for theoretical reasons.

Enable throttle?
Undetectable? No.
Untraceable? Yes. Unless you sign your work, no one is going to be able to figure out who worked on the bike.

billvon said:
SaladFish said:
Hello

Enable throttle?
Undetectable? No.
Untraceable? Yes. Unless you sign your work, no one is going to be able to figure out who worked on the bike.

Detecting that the work has been done and the bike has been used by the defendant is sufficient for conviction.

SaladFish said:
Detecting that the work has been done and the bike has been used by the defendant is sufficient for conviction.
OK, so the work will be untraceable but you can be convicted. Fair enough.

goatman said:
is it against the law to have a street legal/off road switch. street legal is pas only. all it does is turn off the throttle. off road turns on throttle.

So that's all it is.

When speed it x turn off throttle.
So if you could interfere with the signal wire to turn off the throttle in an untraceable way. The perfect crime.

It is usually just messing with the controller or display... No way is it the perfect crime.
Just don't go hauling ass down the street at 40km/h without pedalling and no one will bat an eye.

yes but if you had something like a wireless key fob that turned on and off the switch inside the controller the cops would have a lot of fun trying to figure it out. unless they get your fob that throttle isn't working. this was fun.

First of all NOBODY, with authority or otherwise, cares that you are asking about how to disable your own bike's speed limit so you can ride it faster than jogging speed and clearly intend to do so.

Second the whole "my friend" "in theory" thing doesn't protect you from criminal liability whatsoever. If what you're asking is sketchy enough to attract question in the first place you will get bad results even if you say the martians told you to ask while you were dreaming. Fortunately as noted earlier there is no problem at all with making a slow bicycle slightly less slow.

Third, in most areas of the world enforcement on bicycles of any kind is minimal if you use common sense. In other words slow down and pedal if you see a policeman. You should avoid any hassle that way even if you have a 70 mph ultra illegal ebike.

Back