Complete bosch performance line cx 2019 removal, need help and advice

Phoenix123

1 µW
what up everyone,
i need some help,
So i purchased a "Cube reaction hybrid exc 2019" with the bosch performance line cx 2019 configured to "sport", and in my own personal experience it has been the worst purchase i have ever made. set me back over 4 grand at the original purchase only to have now spent over $1000 on service charges within a 4 month period of time. i dont want anything to do with the bosch non self serve system period. Sorry for my terrible grammer/punctuation on this post im using touchscreen mouse/keyboard combo and its quite painful to type on...

Straight to the point:
i need Advice on removing every component of a bosch ebike, leaving only the bare frame, maybe wheels, forks, stem, ect. and installing aftermarket system in its place. has this already been done on this forum? if soo some links would be greatly appreciated. otherwise what mid drive do you guys suggest and any technical advice for me before i start the tear down?

The long story...
it was purchased while on vacation in my home town of nelson bc and i had the shop there ship it to my current address in victoria bc(huge mistake). so out of box right away i notice 3 nice big scrapes/chips in the frame from shipping(terrible careless packing) but being soo excited to ride the thing i said screw it ill deal with the scapes later..
first ride, no assist what so ever i quickly found out the spoke magnet was loose and slid to the center of the wheel, pedaled the stupidly heavy thing home. got the speed sensor all tuned up.
second ride, now i was getting fairly decent assist and was somewhat content.
then i noticed my speed on display was reading 0...
15th ride(aprox.) still 0 on display, tried every possible placement you could imagine, some minor adjustments to posituon of spoke magnet i noticed slight increase in assist, or decrease, hinting to me that the magnet was in fact being read by the system, but still says 0. (tried resetting battery, controller, you name it i tried it.).
20th ride. about 40 straight hours invested into tying to get ti the bottom of it finally took it too a shop, told them my issue and asked if they could'run diagnostic. they ran it and said everyone looks fine, i asked if they'could check the spoke magnet/sensor they said, "looks good if its not working we can order you a new one for 40$ or you can'contact the store where your purchased it. i said ok i wil, and then got charged 75$ service charge, i said oh heres 100$ for all your hard work(for real, just pissed and in shock threw $100 bill at him and walked out)
2 weeks later got new speed sensor cable in mail from original shop only to find out i had every bike tool you need for any other bike except a 100$ Bosch chainring tool soo i'could access the port for the faulty sensor. (ive had multiple visits to several bike shops with similar negative experiences every time leaving having spent minimum $100 for something i already have tools for and have always done myself in the past) went out bought that put the new sensor in. when putting the cover back on the drive i iver torqued a bolt by accident and it right threw the plastic and snapped off, officially voiding my warranty.
other then that, bike back together i said to myself at least now the speed sensor will work, but of course, no difference still 0.
over the next'few weeks i went to every bike shop that services "e-pieces" only to be told i voided warranty by attempting to replace my faulty speed sensor.
im now stuck with this bike, with a controller that doesnt work, motor cuts in and out constantly making it pretty much un ridable. and to top it off the compact 2a original charger that came with the bike stopped charging the bike, it was charging yesterday after coming home from work, woke up this morning, the bike was only at 4 out of 5'bars after being plugged in all night and simply will not charge anymore. i took it out again today and it is now down to 2 bars and will soon be officially dead, un-chargable, un-servicable, and taking up my entire kitchen just to rub in the fact i wasted all this money for nothing.
This whole situation has made me tear up and break down more then once, my only option left is to remove everything from the frame and attempt to fit an aftermarket mid-drive setup to the existing mounting holes, happy to break out the grinder and sawsall to demo this ***** and drop another 2g on kit that will be reliable and i can service myself.

sorry for that short novel, if anyone has any suggestions or pointers to help me out in anyway possible, would be very much apreciated.

Phoenix123 said:
This whole situation has made me tear up and break down more then once, my only option left is to remove everything from the frame and attempt to fit an aftermarket mid-drive setup to the existing mounting holes

Unfortunately as you've probably noticed the Bosch motor mounts are non standard and I don't think there is an aftermarket kit you can just bolt on to a Bosch bike frame.

I've seen some forum members here who have simply connected various motor controllers to the Bosch motor directly and just using the bike with a throttle. It looks like it works well but of course you lose the whole Bosch system and the ability to use the torque sensor to control motor output.

Phoenix123 said:
and to top it off the compact 2a original charger that came with the bike stopped charging the bike, it was charging yesterday after coming home from work, woke up this morning, the bike was only at 4 out of 5'bars after being plugged in all night and simply will not charge anymore.

Your battery should still be under warranty right? Shouldn't matter whether you broke the motor covers or tried to install your own speed sensor?

Removal of the system is easy enough. A few torx bolts holding the motor onto the frame, unclip all connectors from the motor, and that bit is done. Remove all ebike peripherals (display, sensors, etc). The battery depends on if you have a Power Pack or Power Tube, but either way should only require some unscrewing of the mounting plates.

Now you're left with a bike with a Bosch mount on it, so you need to find a frame builder who will chop off that section and weld on a new configuration of your choice.

But honestly it sounds like you didn't really do your homework on the type of bike you were purchasing. If you wanted a bike that you could do all the work on yourself, choosing a Bosch system was the wrong thing to start with. The reason they deal almost entirely through brick and mortar is the expectation that the shop will be handling initial setup (thus avoiding this situation) and all electric component service from there on forward (all covered under warranty and/or service contracts).

Infeasible to remove Bosch system and use the rest of the bike. Either use the warranty to get discrepant parts repaired, sell what you have and start over or take off the wheels, derailleurs, bars, brakes etc and put on a DIY system.

Back