Creaking bottom bracket: anti-seize?

Newboy

1 mW
I have installed a bafang motor on a Cube bike. see the blurry picture. I love it!
I drove it for about 300km and now the crank is squeaking.
  • The hole system was a little loose so after thightening: still the same.
  • The bike shop tried to get rid of the sound: still the same.
  • It is the usual creak when the crank is at a certain forward point and with power applied to it
  • The ball bearings are ok
  • or it just might be the cranks themselves?

Now, I remember putting the motor in the bottom bracket and not putting any anti-seize in it so that would be my next move?

What do you guys think?

I have no idea. I applied some WD40 and it was all suddenly gone. When putting pressure on a pedal or standing on my pedals and pedaling it used to creak. I realize WD40 won't last long and really getting grease in between the cracks is impossible. So, either reapplying WD40 every week or so or installing new pedals...

The creaking might be coming from where the cranks attach to the BB shaft. Make sure those and the pedals are tight.

Newboy said:
the culprit was... the pedals...

in search of a new bike shop now :)

Creaks are notoriously difficult to locate, because they transmit though the bike and seem to appear at whatever location is most resonant. I’ve located “bottom bracket” creaks In places such as chainring bolts, headset cups, rear axles, and luggage racks, as well as pedals. That’s apart from the creaks that often appear when the bike frame is cracked somewhere.

Known issue: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1474957
Even if it "feels" tight, the bbs has a lot of power and even a tiny amount of play inside the bb shell will produce creaking noise. Has to be air tight stuffed with material that does not wear.

Creaking Fix -
I have built the BBSHD into a Trek Remedy and a Giant Stance2. Both have given me creaking problems after a short while. The creaking is worse under motor + pedal load...especially climbing. Tried just about everything. The motor is on super tight, and I use the Luna Cycle sheet metal stabilizer piece. Built a Giant Stance2 for my neighbor...then HE started getting creaking!!! So he figured out how to get rid of it on his. I tried it and it worked fabulously on both of mine!
We lay the bike on its side - make it fairly flat (level). I take Tri-Flow spray lube and saturate ALL the interfaces around the bottom bracket...like the BBSHD nut, crank attach points, all suspension pivots, motor body to frame interface, sprocket bolts, etc. I use copious amounts and let the oil soak in. After the Tri-Flow I then drip more copious amounts of Finish Line green oil. Don't worry...you can clean it all up afterwards. The idea is that the Tri-Flow thins the Finish Line oil and penetrates better, On each side I let it soak for hours...for me I just left overnight. Oh my gosh...it worked so well, and so far after weeks I have not needed to re-lube this way. My guess is that the BB interface is a bitch....with the power of that motor everything tries and eventually succeeds in moving around microscopically. No way to stop that...just have to get lube in that very specific area. Anyways 3 for 3 is pretty good success. I thought I would share this technique and likely some others will get the same result. I have to say it just makes the bike feel SO MUCH better....I love these machines...especially now!

How has this held up?
despite tightening my creaking on pedal pressure has groan (sic).
and it is time to tear it down to fix.
Several approaches have been proposed, and I'm trying to see how they performed over time.
your emphasis on ALL the places that can creak was a great tip.
The core of my install is solid, but it has brought out many of the weak spots in the system.
52V BBHSD in Cannondale Quick5

Back