APD HV Pro

flat tire

100 kW
Anyone use these speed controllers? Haven't seen anything on here. I was curious so I got one and will be trying the 20S whenever it gets here. Could be a great controller for low inductance high rpm RC style mid drives. Or maybe it will suck, who knows. For the price it had better be awesome.

https://powerdrives.net/products/hv_pro/

OK I got this ESC and configured it. It has a dedicated ebike mode which claims to do torque control. You can set phase and battery current separately. Looks very promising. Also has good datalogging.

Half a lb and 30kw claimed peak power handling. I'll only be running 6kw.

The + and - rails are on separate boards and each of the 3 outputs is on a separate board.

So far so good. I will hook it to the X1 pro and see if I can finally get some power out of that thing.

This controller ABSOLUTELY SUCKS in ebike mode. The startup algorithm is awful, hammers the drivetrain, and inferior to the startup with Castle Creations. Maybe airplane mode will be better.

This controller is much better in normal mode. It functions more or less like the castle ESC except startup is still inferior. Since I can run 50% higher voltage here vs castle I will reduce the ratio to see if that allows the algorithm to work satisfactorily.

Torque control in general seems to be an issue on small mid drives with freewheels.

flat tire said:
This controller is much better in normal mode. It functions more or less like the castle ESC except startup is still inferior. Since I can run 50% higher voltage here vs castle I will reduce the ratio to see if that allows the algorithm to work satisfactorily.

Torque control in general seems to be an issue on small mid drives with freewheels.

So how much did it cost? Never heard of them.

Geeze I just looked. 1099$? I mean only good thing I see is the availability to put down 20s voltage. Most hobby ESC make only 14s. Id rather have a HobbyWing V4 for 400$ for up to 13Kw.

20s esc are rare. I wonder how it handles freewheeling. Usually the Castles hate the freewheeling at low outputs... so much flyback and the freewheeling diodes cant hack it ( at pwm < 80% or so). Who needs 30kw. Does it get hot? Can you adjust PWM Hz?

This motor isn't driven by the drivetrain so it only "freewheels" for a very short amount of time after the throttle is closed while it spins down. Haven't blown any controllers so far, just a whole lot of motors.

The APD controller doesn't get hot and pwm is adjustable up to 60khz. The build quality is very high. Unfortunately the software blows for ebikes and from what I can tell the current values reported by the log are stupid and super inflated. I will be going back to the castle for competition use since the throttle response on the APD is unsuitable for that.

flat tire said:
This motor isn't driven by the drivetrain so it only "freewheels" for a very short amount of time after the throttle is closed while it spins down. Haven't blown any controllers so far, just a whole lot of motors.

The APD controller doesn't get hot and pwm is adjustable up to 60khz. The build quality is very high. Unfortunately the software blows for ebikes and from what I can tell the current values reported by the log are stupid and super inflated. I will be going back to the castle for competition use since the throttle response on the APD is unsuitable for that.

No, I mean how it handles flyback with the passive diode or the active circuitry... not the mechanical freewheeling on the sprocket.. but how it handles lower than 100% pwm.....

Hobbywing V4 is 10000x better than Castle Cremations because of this very thing.. the ability to run at part loads...

I know Kelly controllers of course have it.. (most ebike controllers would need some kind of freewheeling protections I think.. )
.... also some hobby ESC but not many.... Not the castle, I know that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqzOQGiwGnE

Haven't had enough time with the APD to tell. The HV160s haven't died yet either. I don't observe any special precautions with ESCs except to start off in an adequately low gear.

Back