ASI BAC 2000/4000/8000

Doust72

10 mW
Hello someone knows how to activate cruise control with the ASI BAC 2000/4000/8000 ?
thank you

Bump looking for same information.
I set speed sensor source to hall A, it shows wheel rpm (based on motor) but 0 for vehicle speed. I would rather not install a big ugly magnet and sensor.

Tommm said:
I set speed sensor source to hall A, it shows wheel rpm (based on motor) but 0 for vehicle speed. I would rather not install a big ugly magnet and sensor.

Did you also setup the wheel diameter?

RE: Doust72, the "cruise" control input has miscellaneous uses but there is no cruise function, ASI has cited safety concerns :roll: Frankly those are somewhat warranted given the power some of them reach. However, it would be possible to simulate cruise control by remote serial if you really want it. You could use a raspberry pi nano connected to a hardware switch and the backend for my custom ASI display. This could be used to reprogram anything on the fly just like my display does, for cruise control basically you would switch the throttle from hardware to remote serial, then set the remote speed command to the current speed-- and when switching off, e.g. when a brake cutoff or regen flag is detected, switch it back to original hardware bit and reset the remote commands. In fact, I hadn't considered cruise but I've added it to my development list...

xenodius said:
Tommm said:

Did you also setup the wheel diameter?

RE: Doust72, the "cruise" control input has miscellaneous uses but there is no cruise function, ASI has cited safety concerns :roll: Frankly those are somewhat warranted given the power some of them reach. However, it would be possible to simulate cruise control by remote serial if you really want it. You could use a raspberry pi nano connected to a hardware switch and the backend for my custom ASI display. This could be used to reprogram anything on the fly just like my display does, for cruise control basically you would switch the throttle from hardware to remote serial, then set the remote speed command to the current speed-- and when switching off, e.g. when a brake cutoff or regen flag is detected, switch it back to original hardware bit and reset the remote commands. In fact, I hadn't considered cruise but I've added it to my development list...

I did setup a wheel diameter, however it is strange because 259mm or so appears to be the highest value accepted which is tiny.

Good to know now that I've wired up the button... Is there any easy ability for a toggle or latching switch to toggle between power modes? (I don't use a display) I have seen there is a walk mode, that also might be useful.

Tommm said:
I did setup a wheel diameter, however it is strange because 259mm or so appears to be the highest value accepted which is tiny.

Good to know now that I've wired up the button... Is there any easy ability for a toggle or latching switch to toggle between power modes? (I don't use a display) I have seen there is a walk mode, that also might be useful.

That's odd. All the integer scale registers should go up to at least 32767, I double checked and indeed I can set my wheel diameter to over 32 meters. Something else is going on-- doubly odd that you're getting 0 speed with a non-zero wheel diameter. I'd want to find out why even though without a display it's more or less irrelevant.

You could either use a latching switch or devise an analog latching circuit for use with a momentary switch. I'd recommend the former if you want easy.

Some of the input functions can only be assigned to specific inputs, that still have multiple potential assignments. So you should keep in mind what features you want to wire up early on or you might have to change a few inputs to add one toggle. E.g. reverse can only go on the PFS (pedal first sensor) input. Antitheft mode can only go on the cruise input. If you have firmware 6.016+ the PFS/cruise inputs can also be switched over serial by enabling their pullups with the new Features3 register. This is what I did to control those features in a 'toggleable' way on my touchscreen display. These are great performance controllers but I think being able to retune anything on-the-fly over serial is what really sends me head over heels. The builtin 'street' and 'race' modes can adjust power and max speed using just a simple switch, but not e.g. max phase current, or field weakening, or whether or not you want throttle power independent from PAS modes, etc... I like to have one legal mode, one mode setup without field weakening that uses as much power as I can get without saturating my motor, and another maxed out mode for showing up people who wanna drag race 8)

Personally I don't find walk mode very useful as it's intended-- basically it's just to limit speed if you want to throttle the bike along while you're walking next to it. But you could instead set it up with a high speed limit, and a low minimum power just high enough to offset the hysteresis torque of your motor or whatever you feel like, and use it as a 'coast' assist mode.

Back