Sevcon, subsidiary of Borg Warner

john61ct

1 TW
The software licensing issues are very sketchy.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1554425#p1554425

Their DVT programming software, supposedly "free" when you buy the required IXXAT USB-to-CAN interface converter

getting detailed useful licensing information is like pulling teeth, treated like state secrets.

So far, no word on ongoing costs to renew the subscription, apparently each "license" may only be good for one year.

No license is transferable if you want to sell your IXXAT "bundle", or at least that is up to the discretion of your "authorized dealer"

Borg Warner will only "refresh" the license at the request of an authorized dealer and gives no direct support only through those dealers, or if you are an OEM.

The license key generator ties it to one PC/motherboard only, if that breaks you're SOL.

Training only (maybe) available through the dealers.

I got the strong impression that BW are actively trying to suppress the DIY market.

Corrections and feedback, suggestions for workarounds would be welcome, if not publicly then via DM.

john61ct said:
The software licensing issues are very sketchy.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1554425#p1554425

Frankly you're starting to get annoying. I was well aware of the things you've mentioned as well but the Sevcon controller is frankly better than anything else in the same class and I'm positively sure anybody who is going to go the Sevcon route would have done their fair bit of research that the Sevcons negative is its programming side but its performance is unmatched.

I haven't redeemed my license so I'm not "transferring" it to anybody.

The DIY community of Sevcon help one another with the dcf files and how to change certain parameters.

I bought the IXXAT/DVT combo from an Authorized Sevcon & Motenergy dealer so I don't know why you keep accusing this of being "sketchy".

Lastly, if you're going to go to war with Sevcon, Borg Warner, hell even me, at least get your facts right? There is no such thing as a 1 year license, I confirmed with the seller that my license/software does not have an expiration date but is indeed locked to a single HWID (not sure if this means storage device ID or motherboard ID) and that they do indeed sell the DVT software alone.

Similar controllers?
- Mobipus 72600 & 96400. Most important parameters are locked behind a time key pass code which you have to pay for and no support from manufacturer or even the resellers, I had one myself and it was a nightmare.
- ASI. Claim their ASI BAC8000 can be unlocked to match the power for the Sevcon/Mobipus etc but people are still waiting for the software update that allows it to be unlocked over a year later.

Edit: You could even forget the DIY community, any Zero owner can go down to their local dealership and purchase this exact same IXXAT/DVT combo. Have you even really spent a minute researching the crap you're spewing out?

I would have thought you'd prefer to continue this discussion in the other thread?

The one-time tying of the license is to the PC's CPU/motherboard.

If your PC breaks or you want to move to a different one, you need permission from the dealer to generate another license. If they feel like saying no, for whatever reason, the IXXAT is rendered useless.

I am not "at war" with BW, but do maintain that they are delegating too much discretion to their channel partners on this issue, and the lack of transparency is very sketchy indeed.

I did not mean to imply that you, nor the dealer you purchased from are sketchy in any way, I have no information on that, either way.

But it is silly to assume whoever may want to buy from you would have done extensive research on this issue - I have so far communicated with six dealers and three techs at BW, and have not yet achieved any comfort level or clarity.

And this issue has nothing to do with how fantastic the Sevcon line is.

The dealer involved also has the power to say "Sorry the license is non-transferable, and since you are not the original purchaser of the IXXAT, we refuse to give you a license".

BW will not help an individual consumer in that case, and the IXXAT is rendered useless.

______
> There is no such thing as a 1 year license

Well it does need the dealer to authorize a renewal. They might have a contract **with you** to do so each year forever with no strings attached, but they are unlikely to give the same consideration to a third party that is not giving them any business.

> that they do indeed sell the DVT software alone

For how much?

Sorry to annoy you, I am actually very interested in going this route,

but so far am getting nothing but red flags from BW/Sevcon's approach on this issue.

I bought my IXXAT in 2015. And had to renew each year. As have not used it from 2018 i need to renew it again to be able to program some parameters in my kart. For the renew they did not charge any money but it's inconvient for me.
And for a 600€ USB IXXAT device with a license I assumed I will get not expiring license.

What i have figured out last week is that you can just move that license exipred dialog away from screen and still use the program :)

Another relevant thread

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1556085#p1556085

nuxland said:
For the renew they did not charge any money but it's inconvient for me.
Please link to the referent of that "they"?

> And for a 600€ USB IXXAT device with a license I assumed I will get not expiring license.

Yes I am not willing to "assume" that, even at less than half that price

Such lack of clarity really should not even be legal!

> What i have figured out last week is that you can just move that license exipred dialog away from screen and still use the program

Not something to bank on, since they are likely to fix it in future updates, especially with people discussing such things publicly!

I'm not intending to upgrade my software because there is no need doing that.
they, is some guy in sevcon as i wrote email to my reseller when it first expired and they forwaded me to sevcon.

PS! i have replaced my laptop once in these years and they gave me license to the new laptop also.

Again, "they" meaning who, which dealer?

There is no Sevcon anymore except as a brand owned by Borg Warner

and every attempt to get decent information from them has been returned with "we do not support" and "ask your dealer".

Even asking them for recommendations for dealers to consider, answer was "talk to your dealer". Must be a human, no AI would be **that** stupid!

nuxland said:
I bought my IXXAT in 2015
Who did you buy from?

And are they the ones handling your annual license refreshes?

Are you otherwise happy with them?

Hey

I do not like your tone :) but i have searched and here are my answers.

I got license from this email <sh***ker@borgwarner.com> last time but in 2016 got it from here <****.conboy@sevcon.com>
They each time asked from i have bought it and to what company i have bought it to also.
I bought my IXXAT and DVT with Sevcon Gen4 Size 6 from this company: www.hybria.fi in year 2015.
Hybria are very supportive with my request but I have my project paused from year 2018 right now.

OK thanks, sorry if my tone is too ? brusque ?

Those direct-inside emails got censored I guess,

the BW contacts I've had so far were very insistent that only a dealer is able to handle such requests on behalf of non-OEM customers

so at this point I plan to just find try to find a friendlier dealer

so thanks for that Finnish lead.

All this does make choosing a controller "painful" for small scale motors, caught in-between Ebikes and full size EVs. I wish that there was a PD-Axiom Jr, but there isn't.

So that leaves us crazy e-karting people with the choices of the Kelly KLS-80801/IPS controller, the Sevcon (BW) Gen4S6, and... what else I am missing (other much larger amperage/voltage $$$ choices)?

I've had been looking at those other choices since I thought that I had bought a nice motor that ran at 144v for a decent price. But that turned out to be a dud and until the motor manufacturer (with awesome customer support) releases their new mass-produced lower-cost line, I've been looking at lower voltage motors to get something going. Not that there are many of those choices either way in anything that is somewhat low in weight, especially new and not unsupported OEM motors (Zero or Alta) with actual information that I could easily repeat if some friends want to join my madness. No I'm not doing the Emrax thing.

So if I want to run a ME-1115 in the mean time for this year just to get something going - should I take a chance on the G4S6 controller + software seller on here that I may or may not be able to register the software with, spend more money for those all things new, or just buy the Kelly controller that doesn't have those software control issues but might not be as good overall?

How about a wrecked zero motorcycle? You can get from there motor + controller that are already working together, so no need to program the controller. You can use twist throttle also with a kart if you want :)
If you make a similar voltage battery that zero has (if battery is broken on wrecked zero) then low voltage cutout is also working.
back and forward button i'm not sure exist on zero.
In europe I have not found any wrecked zeros but in USA I think there is plenty of them :)

PS! if you bay clearview then from there is also possible to program most of the stuff, like max current or max rpm and etc.

Wrecked zero's, not as many as you would think. Only one I can find with a very minor issue it looks like. Plus I'm not sure about the motor cooling for near 90 degree (32.2 C) days (I won't go above this as it's just too much for this "old" guy).

I'll watch it and see where it goes. Although bidding on some of the insurance sites is somewhat difficult unless you are a dealer.

I'd personally like to see a 20-30 kw SRM design. Efficient, simple (cheap) controller (square wave), and no magnets to worry about overheating.

Back