three speed switch problem (no fast speed)

Get all your technical information about electric bikes here.
jimmyhackers   100 W

100 W

three speed switch problem (no fast speed)

Post by jimmyhackers » Jul 14 2020 10:47am

hello
bought one of these escs for my mini moto ebike (leccy 14" unicycle hub motor)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48V-72V-1000 ... 2749.l2649

all wired up and the three position speed switch only does low or high. position 2 and 3 are the same middle speed

i have put one of these escs on my proper ebike (26" wheel) a while ago and i get a defined three speeds 30mph, 40mph 50+mph

the switch is fine, using a peice of wire instead to jump contacts provides the same result.

is my controller broken/faulty?

TIA
jim
if you do learn from your mistakes, i should be a genius by now.

Tommm   100 kW

100 kW

Re: three speed switch problem (no fast speed)

Post by Tommm » Jul 14 2020 12:38pm

jimmyhackers wrote:
Jul 14 2020 10:47am
hello
bought one of these escs for my mini moto ebike (leccy 14" unicycle hub motor)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/48V-72V-1000 ... 2749.l2649

all wired up and the three position speed switch only does low or high. position 2 and 3 are the same middle speed

i have put one of these escs on my proper ebike (26" wheel) a while ago and i get a defined three speeds 30mph, 40mph 50+mph

the switch is fine, using a peice of wire instead to jump contacts provides the same result.

is my controller broken/faulty?

TIA
jim
Maybe you are confusing common wire with low wire. So while nornal/low speed are correct you are missing high speed.

Also, normal speed is simply not connecting anything.

jimmyhackers   100 W

100 W

Post by jimmyhackers » Jul 14 2020 9:07pm

i tried every wiring config (there are only 4) and i only get normal or low. the correct wiring for high does not work, it just does normal speed when selected.

the switch is not at fault. i also tried using just a peice of wire to bridge pins and it gave the same results.

aroundqube   1 kW

1 kW

Post by aroundqube » Jul 14 2020 10:34pm

So, the next step is to measure for +5VDC from the common negative terminal on the speed wire plug on the controller ( power on ), to the hot wire terminal for position #3- high speed on that plug. If no voltage, follow that hot wire back to the solder pad on the circuit board and measure for +5VDC there. HKSUNWIN has replied helpfully to ES members in the past.

jimmyhackers   100 W

100 W

Post by jimmyhackers » Jul 15 2020 12:42pm

thanks for the help.

both low and high speed wires have 5vdc.

the only thing i can think of is my actual hub motor reaches top speed at mid or high as its so small/easy to rev up.

i will try to power it off of my big ebike esc with the same 3speed switch and see if there is any difference.

also, yeah hksunwin have already given me a full refund for one of the controllers they sent. both came dropped/dented and the other was totally non functional

its really annoying as i only upgraded the controller to get this number 3 speed (MORE SPEED) and its the only thing that didnt work :s

jimmyhackers   100 W

100 W

Post by jimmyhackers » Jul 18 2020 11:20am

SOLVED!!

tried out my big ebike 1500w sunwin controller on the little 14" hub wheel

turns out.....high speed doesnt work for this little hub motor :( or it is so small of an increase its not noticable :(

i saw a video showing that high speed only added 3% over normal which i wont be able to percieve without an rpm tester.

sorry to waste everyones time, but at least you all know now.