kp/ki experimenting, controller explosions, and how to prevent them.

thender

100 mW
Hi,

I have an ASI BAC800 that was programmed by ERT. It was waaaaay too aggressive - it would make this "ga-ga-ga" sound while starting and act like it wanted to rip the chain with every engagement. It sounded like an angry midget with a sledgehammer was bashing something rather than a motor turning a chainring on startup.

I noticed the kp/ki was set to 1.6/356. It worked for a full year at these settings. I turned it down to 0.79/5 and it was way better. Not as fast feeling, but it felt like a motor, not a bomb that was about to explode anytime I touched the throttle. It was usable, and worked well.

I tried pushing it a little, to 0.89 kp and 10 kI, and it immediately stopped working after two or three tests of the throttle. B+ and B- on power input plug is now 1 ohm to ground. RIP.

On a similar BAC855 controller, the same thing. I tried kP of 0.89 and KI of 20 on that one. It worked, a little more aggressively. I thought I'd try a ride the next day with it. I turn it on the day after and there's 5 faults on it.

Clearly it is easy to murder ASI controllers/phaserunners(I have murdered a BAC855 and a phaserunner so far messing with this) if the KP/KI is not set properly. I do not think KP being too high is a problem - or else it would've died at 1.6. Nor is KI being too high, since KI being at 356 didn't kill it. For some reason 0.89/10 and 0.89/20 as kp/ki killed two in one day.

Is it pure coincidence, or are there certain ratios of kp/ki that will murder controllers even if they are being pushed very mildly with no load inside?

Thank you.

I don't know the specific answer, but these may help you (if you havent' already gone this path)

What exactly are the kP and kI settings for?

What other settings are related to them, and affect how the system operates when those two are changed?

Back