Bafang 250w Fat Bike Hub-motor Problem

d8veh

1 GW
I've been helping a guy fix his bike. The battery is fine, it's almost new, as is the rest of the bike. The story is that he fell off the bike and it lost most of its power. I'd estimate the power as around 100w, like it's stuck on level 1. It has independent throttle and PAS. The power is the same with either.

Yesterday, I put in a brand new controller, LCD and wiring, but it didn't fix the low power. That only leaves the motor as the culprit unless anybody has any other ideas.

I know it's theoretically possible that magnets can go weak if they get too hot, but I've seen some motors with scorched windings that still worked normally, and in 10 years of working on ebikes, I've never heard of one that went weak like that, and what's more, this is a standard OEM bike with loads of power headroom on that motor, and the guy didn't give it any abuse.

The motor is running smoothly and quietly, just like it should on level 1.

Has anybody got any ideas? Has anybody heard of that happen on another bike?

rio-ls2-800.jpg

Doubt anybody can solve it if you can't, but doesn't it almost need to be some internal multi-wire connector has an area with no continuity?

2old said:
Doubt anybody can solve it if you can't, but doesn't it almost need to be some internal multi-wire connector has an area with no continuity?
Motors like that don't normally run at all if there's a continuity issue.

Back