Generic Chinese controller and Cycle analyst V3

Sartre66

1 µW
Hi everybody!

First i would like to appologise for my approximate English, which could not be really enjoyable to read :confused: (I'm French [it happens...])

I recently bought a generic 48V chinese ebike kit (https://www.amazon.fr/OUKANING-1000W-%C3%A9lectrique-Conversion-arri%C3%A8re/dp/B07F9YG322) and a cycle analyst V3 DPS with the Grins stand alone shunt, to get a better control of it.
I also bought a thumb throttle that I plugged to the CA3.

The kit itself work perfectly well, but the problems came when i plugged the CA3 to the controller. The CA3 is powered on, the battery voltage is displayed on the screen, but the throttle signal that come from the CA3 haven't any effect on the wheel.

The throttle that came with the kit is a classic one: it's a full twist hall effect throttle, with 6 wires (red=+5v, white=throttle signal, black=GND, blue=led indicator, green and yellow=ignition).

So i cut the controller throttle connector, i shorted-circuit the ignition cables and i welded the throttle wire from the cycle analyst to the throttle wire of the controller. And...nothing. My wheel didn't move when i used the thumb throttle that is connected to the CA3.
The CA3 displays the percentage of my thumb throttle, and the voltage output from the CA3 throttle wire, but nothing happen.

I tried to bypass the 5v wire of the controller directly to the throttle input signal, and like this, the motor power is at the maximum.
I also tried to put a random pnp transistor between those three wires : +5v to the emettor, throttle input to the collector and the CA3 throttle output to the base, and it kind of worked : i lost around 2,5v of range, but the wheel turned when i turned the throttle.

So my questions are: are my explanations clears enough? Does anybody already had those kind of issues? Do I miss something really obvious because i'm stupid? Do you think that using transitors can be a good way to bypass my problem (with obviously a design that is is more adapted than simply put a random transistor like this like i did)?

Thank you for your answers, and sorry if i'm not clear, i tried my best with my limited english and my rising frustration(s).
bisous

Sartre66 said:
Hi everybody!

First i would like to appologise for my approximate English, which could not be really enjoyable to read :confused: (I'm French [it happens...])

I recently bought a generic 48V chinese ebike kit (https://www.amazon.fr/OUKANING-1000W-%C3%A9lectrique-Conversion-arri%C3%A8re/dp/B07F9YG322) and a cycle analyst V3 DPS with the Grins stand alone shunt, to get a better control of it.
I also bought a thumb throttle that I plugged to the CA3.

The kit itself work perfectly well, but the problems came when i plugged the CA3 to the controller. The CA3 is powered on, the battery voltage is displayed on the screen, but the throttle signal that come from the CA3 haven't any effect on the wheel.

The throttle that came with the kit is a classic one: it's a full twist hall effect throttle, with 6 wires (red=+5v, white=throttle signal, black=GND, blue=led indicator, green and yellow=ignition).

So i cut the controller throttle connector, i shorted-circuit the ignition cables and i welded the throttle wire from the cycle analyst to the throttle wire of the controller. And...nothing. My wheel didn't move when i used the thumb throttle that is connected to the CA3.
The CA3 displays the percentage of my thumb throttle, and the voltage output from the CA3 throttle wire, but nothing happen.

I tried to bypass the 5v wire of the controller directly to the throttle input signal, and like this, the motor power is at the maximum.
I also tried to put a random pnp transistor between those three wires : +5v to the emettor, throttle input to the collector and the CA3 throttle output to the base, and it kind of worked : i lost around 2,5v of range, but the wheel turned when i turned the throttle.

So my questions are: are my explanations clears enough? Does anybody already had those kind of issues? Do I miss something really obvious because i'm stupid? Do you think that using transitors can be a good way to bypass my problem (with obviously a design that is is more adapted than simply put a random transistor like this like i did)?

Thank you for your answers, and sorry if i'm not clear, i tried my best with my limited english and my rising frustration(s).
bisous

Did you set up the correct voltage levels matching your throttle in the CA menu ? The preset values work with many throttles, but not *all*.

Old thread, but in case this helps someone else...

I recently hooked up a Cycle Analyst V3 to a Voilamart controller (36V kit) and saw exactly the same problem the OP reported. The Voilamart hall-effect throttle included with the kit worked fine, but the CA could not get the controller to respond. Ran through many CA settings using tips found on ES, with no success.

Finally figured out that the Cycle Analyst is not able to drive the Chinese controller throttle input directly - it needed help from a buffer or "voltage follower" that can handle more current. I didn't have a suitable Op Amp on hand to use, and ended up trying an Arduino clone with a simple sketch to read the CA throttle signal and output the Vin value directly to the controller's throttle signal input. Boom - everything works.

I'm surprised this issue isn't more common - hit this on our very first build. Murphy is alive and well. :)

I’ve got a generic 48v and a shunt. What are those three wires coming off the shunt controller side and what do they connect to and how?

Back