Help with unknown ebike controler repair

nitrosport_5

10 µW
I am a local atv mechanic in a small town and was asked to help fix a local disabled mans trike that has been setup with an electric front wheel.

He managed to sever the wire harness coming from the throttle assembly, so I just assumed I could repair the wires and he would be back in business, but that doesnt seem to be the case. I cant find any info on the controller at all. The throttle that is on the trike has 7 wires that have been ripped apart, but the largest connector on the controller is 6 pin. If I match colors, I'm left with a non connected blue wire and nothing works. I'm getting 41.5v out of the battery but that's it.

Any help would be ppreciated. I'm not sure where to even start. I'm not making any money off of my repairs here, I just want to help the man out. Some people in the town got together and purchased this equipment for him so idnlike to be able to help get it running again without replacing stuff.

So I had pictures of everything but they are too big to upload from my phone I guess. I can email them to someone if you can get them resized and posted.

Are there switches on the throttle?

3 wire throttles have +5V, signal, and GND.

4 wire throttles have +5V, signal, GND, and +BATT. That’s for a state-of-charge indicator.

To this you might add a wire for the enable (“ignition”) switch. Maybe even two, but usually there’s one enable wire that is switched or jumpered to +BATT.

So to get to 7 wires, you probably have another switch or two, like lights and/or horn. Perhaps cruise lock.

Thank you for the response. The throttle has 1 switch with 3 positions, and what looks to be a volt meter.

Out of the throttle I have 7 wires

Green, blue, brown, yellow, black, red, white

The controller has 5 plugs

1 6 pin with all the same colors as above minus the blue
2 2 pin with purple and black
1 3 pin with black green and red
1 4 pin with white black red yellow

Does the three position switch have any indication what it does, or do you know what it does? The wire colors probably connect like to like (but not necessarily), and the blue wire may not do anything. You might be able to open the throttle housing and verify whether it's hooked up to a terminal inside. Be careful, because there's a return spring in there that may be ready to jump out.

If you have a multimeter, set it to DC voltage, plug the battery into the controller, and carefully probe the pins of the 6 pin controller plug to find +5V (probably red, but not necessarily), +BATT, and GND (probably black).

If the cable was severed in such a way as to connect 40+ volts from the battery to the low voltage sensor and signal wires, it may have killed the Hall sensor, logic circuits in the controller, or both. A metal blade, for instance, surely would have connected some things together electrically. But a hard yank, or getting pinched in a wooden door, might not have. In the worst case, the controller and throttle assembly both must be replaced.

You can determine whether the throttle Hall sensor is working by connecting +5V and GND to a 5 VDC source (USB power is 5V if that helps), and probing between GND and the other wires ones at a time while you work the throttle. The throttle signal will vary between about half a volt and about 4 volts when you operate the throttle.

After some more tinkering and following some of your suggestions, I think the controller and the throttle assembly need replaced. A group of us has pooled together and wants to make this right.

I've been doing some searching and just cannot come up with parts that I know will all work together. Is there a good place to buy parts? There seems to be alot of no name parts out there and I dont want junk. Any suggestions on what I may want to buy? I have a 36v battery, 750w motor with a 9pin round connector. I for sure need a twist throttle, but other than that I'm not really sure.

pictures will be your friend

Hopefully the pictures will attach. Got them resized.

These are the parts I have, would like to be able to find a replacement controller and throttle and reuse the battery and motor if possible.

Attachments

• IMG_10112020_135802_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_10112020_135802_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_10112020_135752_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_10112020_135752_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_10112020_135709_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_10112020_135709_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_10112020_135659_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_10112020_135659_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_10112020_135647_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_10112020_135647_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 412
I've got a giant bin of 36v controllers and throttles from dead bikes... I'll send you one if you pay postage. Feel free to pm me about it

I'm still on the hunt for the right parts. I tried to get ahold of Voltron without much luck.

There are so many options I'm not sure what to do from here other than order a complete 36v kit off of amazon and hope it's not total junk. Idnlike to get this thing back together for the guy I just dont know what the good parts are, and if ebike stuff is anything like the ATV part world, there is an awful lot of aftermarket garbage out there.

Back