repair bike battery

spamsucks

1 mW
So my ebike battery stopped working all at once. The small push button gauge on the side doesn't light up when I push the button and It shows 0 volts when hooked up to a meter. This battery isn't that old, so I opened it up to take a look. The only part I can find inside that might be bad (as the switch tests ok) is what looks to be the BMS for the battery. I cant seem to find a replacement for it, and I thought I would ask here if anyone knows what I should be searching for to replace it.

The numbers on it are:
sp-m13-027-a01-m10sy-11205/1710270319

Any thoughts on where I should look for this?

bike bms.jpg

No, I dont see any kind of fuse anyplace. Just the wires that run to each group of cells and the ones to the output

Can you get to the actual positive and negative of the battery, before the BMS? If you have normal voltage there, but none at the BMS, that usually means new BMS, unless you can find a broken wire or something... Usually no fuses between it and the battery, usually fuses are just on the charger input or power out after the BMS.

And you prob won't be able to find that exact BMS, they're pretty random. I've opened up outwardly identical packs from the same brand ebike, with totally different BMSs inside

Take the BMS offline completely, bypass it for testing.

If it does turn out to be the culprit, then buy a better one.

IMO all packs should be designed to allow for this to be an easy process, the BMS is often the weakest link.

Thank you all. I guess ill start working from there.
I was kinda hoping for a mostly plug and play replacement, but I guess that isnt an option

All the ones I've seen have the power and charger wires soldered on, so you're at least looking at doing that, or finding one with short wires already attached, and splice to your existing wires. Making sure the balance wire plug matches is good... It sucks to have to splice all of those too, but that's sometimes what it takes.

Voltron said:
And you prob won't be able to find that exact BMS, they're pretty random. I've opened up outwardly identical packs from the same brand ebike, with totally different BMSs inside

The basement generic battery builders buy whatever is on sale at the time for bigger profit margins.

So it took a while to get back to this, but There is no voltage at any of the batteries. Without the bms the same story. I picked up a new one that is better than mine, and nothing. The charger wont see the battery at all. Testing voltage on all points of this shows no power at all anyplace.

Im at a loss at the moment... I assume there was an issue, and the BMS killed the batteries, but I dont know what do do from here.

Buy a new pack.

Ideally DIY or custom, so the BMS can easily be removed / replaced, with the cell/group-level leads available to be measured & tested bypassing the BMS.

john61ct said:
Buy a new pack.

Ideally DIY or custom, so the BMS can easily be removed / replaced, with the cell/group-level leads available to be measured & tested bypassing the BMS.

yea... I was hoping that wouldn't be the case, but I don't know what other option I have

Back