New Dual Motor DYI Bike Build - Questions

SKH

1 µW
I want to convert a fat tire bike to a dual motor with a 1000 watts capacity for each motor. I am looking for some advise on the correct way to set this up using one throttle controller (controls torque, not speed) so that it is wired properly and has the appropriate Cycle Analyst to monitor all functions and statistics. Any advice on batteries would also appreciated.

I have never had any experience with this, so any advice would be appreciated. :bigthumb:

You need 2 controllers to run 2 motors. The Grin Tech website shows how to wire up 2wd to one throttle.

Hi. I am also starting a dual motor upgrade to my custom frame fat tire cargo bike. I currently have the Ebikeling fat tire rear hub motor kit and have been running it for about a year now without issue. Id like to have selectable two wheel drive since I use the bike to haul my kiteboarding gear to the beach and its super heavy (loaded and unloaded lol) My plan is to get the ebikeling front hub motor since I assume motor specs are identical between front and rear but just have different axle widths. I have two ebikeling motor controllers and was planning on paralleling in the signal wire to both controllers through a common throttle. Same with the brake lever interlock wires (similar to what is done in this diagram: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/attachments/screen-shot-2018-05-20-at-1-13-43-pm-png.22064/ ). I was hoping to put a 3 position switch on between the throttle and the two controllers so I could select between front, rear and all-wheel drive by just selecting which controller(s) are able to get signal from the throttle.

That part seems really straightforward but something I didn't think about was whether or not this second controller needs its own screen and how the 5 different power levels I have on my current, rear-wheel setup would be managed on this controller. I was hoping to just run this front motor off of one throttle along with the rear and I was certainly not wanting to add an additional screen and more buttons since I just don't have the room on my bars and don't want extra clutter up there. I realize I wouldn't have any current measurement capability for front motor but would be ok with that. Does this approach sound like it would work with these types of controllers or do i need to get a different controller that maybe doesn't need a screen and buttons to operate? was hoping this would be fairly plug and play. Thanks for the help!

Back