Lacing front mtb hub to 18" rim?

cg_ebiker

100 mW
I'm at the stage of my build where I am trying to build the front wheel. I've bought an 18" rim and a Vector hub (room for 2 discs https://vectorebike.com/bike/other/disc-front-hub).Once they arrived I took some measurements and have settled on 193mm spokes after deciding on doing a 2 cross lacing pattern. I've looked at a few tutorials about both mountain bike and motorbike lacing but as this is a combo of the two, none of them seem to be working. I am able to get all the spokes that go from the outside of the hub to the inside of the hub secured and with lots of wiggle room for adjustment. However once I start adding the spokes that cross in the middle, it pulls to one side so the first set are very easy to put in and have no tension but the other side require a lot of manoeuvring and are noticeably bent when the nipples are attached. Once the first set is in, I can't move the hub over so I'm guessing I need to keep the hub in the centre during each stage of the build and do each side one spoke at a time rather than going the whole of one side and then the whole of the other?

What spoke gauge are you using?

cg_ebiker said:
However once I start adding the spokes that cross in the middle,
This implies you have some spokes that don't cross, which doesn't sound right. Could you post pictures of the way you intend to lace it, and of your various stages of progress in each attempt so far?

Are you installing all the spokes on the entire wheel first, first, just partly threading each nipple on, and then going around tightening them a bit on each one, evenly, until it's fully tightened and tensioned?

Or are you installing and tightening each one as you go? Or installing and tightening a whole side's worth before starting the other? (cuz neither of these usually works very well.)

What spoke gauge are you using?
12 gauge

I think I'm getting somewhere and realised I wasn't threading the spoke under another spoke on the 'loose' side. I still don't think I'm doing it right as there is a lot of tension and the spokes still look bent. Hopefully the photos show the right angles but let me know if you need some more.

I've been threading each nipple on slightly as you said

Attachments

• DSC00267.JPG
    DSC00267.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC00268.JPG
    DSC00268.JPG
    274.3 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC00269.JPG
    DSC00269.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC00270.JPG
    DSC00270.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC00271.JPG
    DSC00271.JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC00272.JPG
    DSC00272.JPG
    234.4 KB · Views: 167
You would do yourself all kinds of favors by using 14ga spokes. But it looks OK as far as I can tell. Crossing from inside to outside or vice versa happens only on the last crossing.

If the spokes are nearly as big as the holes in the hub, they'll fight you before they point in the right direction.

Oh well, I've bought the spokes now but I'll remember that for the future. There's loads of clearance between the spokes and the spoke holes so that isn't an issue, I just need to redo it so that the angle of the spokes matches the angle of the rim hole. As I've started tensioning the spokes, the've become less bent so once it's all trued up I'm sure that will be ok

Attachments

• DSC00273.JPG
    DSC00273.JPG
    258.4 KB · Views: 155
cg_ebiker said:
As I've started tensioning the spokes, the've become less bent so once it's all trued up I'm sure that will be ok

Everything pulls up straight when there's enough tension. Structurally speaking, spokes are strings, not sticks.

Also wondering what size tyre to get. The seller lists it as 85mm across but as you can see it isn't actually. I have up to 4" clearance in the dropouts so was thinking of some 90/90 tyres like these https://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/cst-c6501-magsport-90-90-18-front.html ?

Attachments

• IMG_20210104_151059.jpg
    IMG_20210104_151059.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_20210104_151114.jpg
    IMG_20210104_151114.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 144
Back