How to delete a speed limiter on my controller?

#boosted

100 mW
I know it's not a bike, but I am tinkering around with a scooter (Schwinn Tone 3) and its currently limited to 16mph. I can reach 16mph on flat ground fairly easily and when I pick the scooter up with no load, it will stop at 16mph so I would assume it's limited with the controller, correct if I'm wrong.

The LCD Display has 3 speed modes, 6, 12, and 16mph. Electronic throttle and electronic brake, pretty basic design as there are no lights or other powered options on it.

Its a 25V 200w system, I know it won't have much more (i weigh 140lbs) in it but I'm just curious to see what this little scooter can do down a slight hill without the limiter, any way to remove it? Or am I stuck with what it is :?

Attachments

• 20210104_184357.jpg
    20210104_184357.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 678
  • 20210104_184802.jpg
    20210104_184802.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 678
  • 20210104_184805.jpg
    20210104_184805.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 677
  • 20210104_191106.jpg
    20210104_191106.jpg
    270.1 KB · Views: 677
  • 20210104_184342.jpg
    20210104_184342.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 677
  • 20210104_184338(0).jpg
    20210104_184338(0).jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 677
You could swap the controller for a cheap generic one that doesn't have a built-in speed limiter. It won't be cheaper or nastier than what Schwinn (Pacific Cycle) uses.

Keep it in the same amp range, so you don't stomp your battery.

I would try to disconnect that white wire yes the single white wire. unplug it and see what happens and to get back and let us know yes let us know if it worked or not.

999zip999 said:
I would try to disconnect that white wire yes the single white wire. unplug it and see what happens and to get back and let us know yes let us know if it worked or not.

One thing i forgot to mention is that the LCD Display does have 3 modes, 6,12,16mph top speeds. I disconnected the white wire and nothing changed, i noticed it comes out of the controller and continues on to the motor, not back into the controller. I found that weird.

Chalo said:
You could swap the controller for a cheap generic one that doesn't have a built-in speed limiter. It won't be cheaper or nastier than what Schwinn (Pacific Cycle) uses.

If i change that out, will it inhibit the ability to use my LCD display or would it still work the same?

#boosted said:
Chalo said:

If i change that out, will it inhibit the ability to use my LCD display or would it still work the same?

Controllers and displays generally go together, and don't work with unintended combinations. The cheapest and most generic controllers don't have provisions for displays or control keypads. You can buy a controller and LCD display as a set, but it costs a little more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELectric-Bike-Controller-with-LCD-Speed-for-BLDC-Motor-Scooter-E-Bike-250W-350W/224042002069

Chalo said:
#boosted said:
Chalo said:

Controllers and displays generally go together, and don't work with unintended combinations. The cheapest and most generic controllers don't have provisions for displays or control keypads. You can buy a controller and LCD display as a set, but it costs a little more.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELectric-Bike-Controller-with-LCD-Speed-for-BLDC-Motor-Scooter-E-Bike-250W-350W/224042002069

Thanks for the reply, that controller looks like it would work perfectly, although having to change the LCD display would be a bit of an eye sore i suppose. I wish there was an easier way but it doesnt look like it :confused: Im thinking about getting that controller just to tinker with, Im still very new to the electric vehicle world! So far i own 5 PEVs and i hope to make it a hobby of mine!

#boosted said:
that controller looks like it would work perfectly, although having to change the LCD display would be a bit of an eye sore i suppose.

There are other formats of LCD display you might like better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-V-36V-48V-KT-LCD4-Mini-Display-Panel-Meter-For-Electric-Scooter-Bicycle-Bike/312887837840?hash=item48d9918490:g:cUEAAOSweoRd6fva

I looked up your scooter. I think going faster than 16 mph on tiny, hard wheels is asking to get badly hurt. If you really want to get into this hobby safely and satisfyingly, start with a bike.

Chalo said:
#boosted said:
that controller looks like it would work perfectly, although having to change the LCD display would be a bit of an eye sore i suppose.

There are other formats of LCD display you might like better.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-V-36V-48V-KT-LCD4-Mini-Display-Panel-Meter-For-Electric-Scooter-Bicycle-Bike/312887837840?hash=item48d9918490:g:cUEAAOSweoRd6fva

I looked up your scooter. I think going faster than 16 mph on tiny, hard wheels is asking to get badly hurt. If you really want to get into this hobby safely and satisfyingly, start with a bike.

That one does look better!
I really don't intend for this scooter to be safe, even at 16mph its unsafe compared to my other electric vehicles. I just love the idea of this little scooter being capable of high speed considering the size!

If you don't want safe, and do want faster, there are builds around here in the scooter/board section claiming car speeds on these kinds of things, if you have the budget and time for it.

Back