XT 90 antispark

999zip999

100 TW
Just put in my battery with XT90 connections and they pop is this normal or is the antispark blown out ? Battery 20s6p Samsung 40t brand new battery.

How fast are you plugging it in? I'm not using anti spark connectors myself, but I'm guessing the resistor wont be able to charge the caps in the controller fast enough to prevent a spark if the caps are discharged completely and you plug it in very fast. It's also possible the resistor is simply burned up, but you would have to either test or measure this - or just swap the connector if you suspect it and have a spare.

When I was using XT90S antispark connectors with a 22S lipo battery, the connector usually started to spark after about 10 or 20 connections.
Maybe always plugging it in only half and wait for a second before plugging it in completely helps, but I did not try that.
On my 14S battery the XT90S still works fine.

Good tips above about slowing your connection by letting the "pre-charge" system work. Especially with a larger voltage pack that would supply a controller having most likely larger capacitors... IE: larger sustained inrush current.

fetch

Illustration above as seen in this informative thread...
https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/knowledge-base/parts-aa/8484-connectors-xt-90

I've also seen a toasted resistor ooze a green looking discharge.

fetch

As seen and talked about here... post #4039 and below.
https://electricbike.com/forum/foru...r-within-30-minutes-or-so?p=112474#post112474

XT90s are made for RC model controllers which have lower voltage and way lower capacitance to precharge.

The resistor would have to be one with 50ohm or so that it doesn't blow when using it with 20s on big ebike controller.

So yes it was blown - green stuff coming out the top .
I replaced and with the tips found in the video of connecting male and female together when soldering really helped out . Good info
Why doesn't my xt60 pop or spark when I plug it into my charger at 84v kingpan 5a a great 10 yr old. Was at 59v and keep turning it up till it poop and repalce 75v cap for 100v volt and now 84v good for last two yrs.

madin88 said:
XT90s are made for RC model controllers which have lower voltage and way lower capacitance to precharge.

The resistor would have to be one with 50ohm or so that it doesn't blow when using it with 20s on big ebike controller.

Completely agree. XT90S is way to low for us. Need 50-100ohm precharge.

Zip: I blew mine out along time ago.. then i installed a switched precharge (manual).

Xt90s will die after a few connections above 48v. But it is still good to have one for those few roadside moments.

You generally shouldn't pull apart wires to depower your ride anyway, just like you don't pull them apart for a Tesla or a Zero.

To depower your ride normally, use the key in/out mechanism on your controller, or when putting it in long term storage use the low power bms switch, or turn the bms off with its bms bluetooth app.

Yes I was old school always disconnect your battery when not in use. You now 5 mm mains and a side precharge resistor first. I do have a 3usd off/on switch handle bar kill switch but want more off

Back