Phaserunner not being read by PhaserunnerSuite

The Toecutter

100 kW
I hooked up my CA v3 DP to a 46.8V battery pack and have a Sempu torque sensing bottom bracket set up.

I've been trying to tune the Phaserunner controller but keep getting the message "Controller is not connected" after plugging my laptop computer up to the controller via the USB to TTL cable. The software shows the USB to TTL cable is available in the serial port box as "ttyUSB". The CA cable is connected to the Phaserunner and CA3 and the motor hall cable is connected to the Phaserunner and Leafbike motor.

The controller appears to turn on when connected, showing a red dot that is visible when it is powered up. When I rotate the pedals, the CA3-DP gives an accurate speed reading based on my Leafbike motor's hall input(I have a normal magnet-read bicycle speedometer to compare it with).

Any ideas as to why it's not reading?

I would guess that either the cable itself is bad between the USB-serial converter and the TRS plug to the PR, or that something is wrong with the PR's serial port.

The cable can be tested by connecting it's serial out to it's serial in at the TRS plug, and using a terminal program to verify all sent characters are received. (will be displayed twice on the screen depending on the mode it's set to).

The Toecutter said:
Tomorrow I'm going to take a voltage reading of the hall pins and see what I get.

I must not understand how the PR works....What will the voltage on the hall pins tell you about the serial communication? According to the Grin Tech page about the PR, they're two separate connectors....

amberwolf said:
I would guess that either the cable itself is bad between the USB-serial converter and the TRS plug to the PR, or that something is wrong with the PR's serial port.

The cable can be tested by connecting it's serial out to it's serial in at the TRS plug, and using a terminal program to verify all sent characters are received. (will be displayed twice on the screen depending on the mode it's set to).

The cable is a likely culprit.

I powered the CA3 DP up and plugged the TTL to USB cable into it and hooked it up to my computer. When running the Cycle Analyst Setup Utility, I tried to read the data I programmed into the CA3. The serial port I was using was "/dev/ttyUSB0". I received the following errors:

*"Unable to communicate with the Cycle Analyst in a timely manner.

Please make sure the device is properly connected.
Please cycle power to the device and try again."

*"Failed to read setup from Cycle Analyst! Please make sure you have selected the correct COM port and that your Cycle Analyst is turned on and properly connected, then try again."

The CA is powered on and gives a speed reading when I rotate the pedals based upon the motors hall effect sensors.

I was able to get a Windows computer to read the controller and tune it. My issue was a software one.

It appears to me that the PhaserunnerSuite for Linux doesn't even work. I installed all the drivers for my TTL to USB cable and everything needed to make the PhaserunnerSuite run on my Linux machine, and it refuses to work.

If neither the CA setup software nor PR suite will talk to their respective devices, but the hardware itself is proven to work with a different OS, I'd guess it's more likely to be an issue with either a serial library or the driver for the cable (possible incompatibility between them?)...but I know almost nothing about linux internals, so I can't be of much more help than that. :(

But I suppose it could also be something common (probably a library) between the Linux version of the CA and PR softwares.

I did send some emails to Justin from Grin Technologies, so he might have an answer for me to share here when I hear back.

But at least I got the Phaserunner working. That is what is important.

Did you solve this? I have the same problem. Baserunner v5, PhaseRunner Suite 1.7.2, Linux 5.10.0.

stephenb said:
Did you solve this? I have the same problem. Baserunner v5, PhaseRunner Suite 1.7.2, Linux 5.10.0.

It started working suddenly. I have no idea why.

Having the same issue with my recently purchased phaserunner & CA v3. Very disappointed. I downloaded the Phaserunner suit on my galaxy s9 and it just says not connected...now I'm having thoughts that I've made a mistake spending $590 on this hardware. What the heck? I'm using the programming cable that grin supplies with an otg to my phone.

Back