Am i as dumb as i think I am? Blown controller?

acwhitney

1 mW
Tldr: shorted display power circuit, can i fix it (45a hallomotor controller)
Lesson learned, dont assume you know how to wire a controller

So i just recieved a hallomotor 45a controller (says risun on the label). I was super excited to connect it to the motor and might have done something stupid in my haste

I tested it upon reciept by connecting my 52v battery (stupid, shoulda used a multimeter. The controller would make a high pitched whine. I figured it was normal and would maybe go away if i plugged everthing in.

The next day i attempted to use the USB connector to program the motor on my pc.

I had the controller plugged into the battery and motor (only the 3 phase wires tho) but nothing was happening then i realize the circuit supplying power to the display out has no continuity becase i started to make the harness for the display with the unwired plug proved for the display. To fix this i reconnected pin 1 to 3 (red to black or current in to current out) as it came from the seller.

Still nothing

Then i relaized i unplugged the two wires going to the power switch. When i connected the circuit there was a big pop.

I then put everthing back as it came. But when i powered on the battery there was no whine. Im pretty sure i damaged circuitry going to the display.

I opened the controller up and saw what looked like 2 melted pins on a serial connector that was between the main pcb and a smaller pcb with appears to be related to the display. Unfortunately my mutimeter isnt working, so i cant test. Also im out of town now and am unable to provide photos.

If im right should i expect further damage and is it fixable?

Or do u think the seller would accept it if I say it never worked? I regret not buying a bigger controller and not purchasing it with a display so it was thinking about returning it anyways.

acwhitney said:
Tldr: shorted display power circuit, can i fix it (45a hallomotor controller)
Lesson learned, dont assume you know how to wire a controller

So i just recieved a hallomotor 45a controller (says risun on the label). I was super excited to connect it to the motor and might have done something stupid in my haste

I had the controller plugged into the battery and motor (only the 3 phase wires tho) but nothing was happening then i realize the circuit supplying power to the display out has no continuity becase i started to make the harness for the display with the unwired plug proved for the display.

If im right should i expect further damage and is it fixable?

Or do u think the seller would accept it if I say it never worked? I regret not buying a bigger controller and not purchasing it with a display so it was thinking about returning it anyways.

So you want the seller to pay for your mistake? I think once he opens up the controller, it will be obvious that your fried it. If the controller it sensored, then the motor wouldn't spin anyway until you hooked up the hall sensor wires, so maybe that was your fatal mistake. :confused:

If there was a big pop when it shorted it's likely that you shorted battery voltage to the 5v or throttle line. Once that happened, the 5v bus skyrocketed to full battery voltage and the 12 volt bus likely did as well.

From experience, a significant fraction of components on the board are likely dead and the controller is basically totaled. You'll probably be able to salvage the FETs for some other project but not much else.

Back