Adding motor temp sensor to work with sabvoton

cg_ebiker

100 mW
I'm trying to add a temperature sensor to my motor to work with a Sabvoton. Does anyone know how the sabvoton temp input works, whether it takes a voltage reading or measures the resistance directly? I've tried connecting it to my bench psu, but 0˚C is at 0.24v and 100 is at 0.48v which seems way too fine?

The way all of the stuff I've seen so far works, is it has an internal pullup resistor (of unknown value) with it's "top" end to one of the internal power rails (probably 5v), and the bottom end to the signal line of the temperature input (and the MCU). Then the sensor in the motor would be a resistive type that is wired from that signal line to ground.

This makes a voltage divider, so what is really being read is the voltage...but whether you can directly input a voltage to it and get a valid reading, I don't know. You would probably have to first test with the known type of sensor it normally uses, and note the voltage on that signal line at specific temperatures from the bottom to the top of your expected usage range, to generate a chart of what voltages would be needed to tell the controller what temperature it is.

AFAIK, QSMotor typically uses the KTY83 (not certain--you'd have to check their site) in their motors, for which they typically supply "Sabvoton" (MQCON) controllers. So if yours is one of theirs, or is just like theirs, then you can probably use the same sensor they typically put in their motors.

I would use the KTY83 but they've been discontinued so I've done some more testing and found the resistor value should be around 16kΩ but will use a pot to fine tune it. I've found a similar PTC (same as the KTY83) sensor which I will try out soon. Thanks for confirming my theory

Back