do two 1500w controllers make a 3000w one?

jimmyhackers

10 kW
being a bit of a cheap skate here.

i have a spare hksunwin 1500w controller. the other is already on my bike (48v1000w hub motor run at 72v 1500w).

just wondering how viable it would be to use two of them in conjunction if i did want to up my torque?
(probably with either this motor modded or another rated for 3000w).

and if it is possible...

Can i just unpower one esc by detaching the power/battery wires to it for an "eco mode" with no ill effect (feedback etc) in regular single esc performance?

jimmyhackers said:
being a bit of a cheap skate here.

i have a spare hksunwin 1500w controller. the other is already on my bike (48v1000w hub motor run at 72v 1500w).

just wondering how viable it would be to use two of them in conjunction if i did want to up my torque?
(probably with either this motor modded or another rated for 3000w).

and if it is possible...

Can i just unpower one esc by detaching the power/battery wires to it for an "eco mode" with no ill effect (feedback etc) in regular single esc performance?

Even if you could control them in perfect sync - paralleling anything pushing a lot of current is generally a bad idea unless it's designed for it - thermal runaway is a common issue meaning one device will take more of the load, get hotter, have lower resistance so take even more etc. until it fails because it's taking most of the load - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_runaway#Electrical_engineering

It would work exceptionally well with two motors in a 2WD ebike. That being said, when you accelerate, most if the vehicle weight shifts to the rear tire, so...

A more balanced system might put a 1000W controller and motor in the front, and a 1500W system on the rear tire...

thanks for the replies

yeah. i figure a non sensored brushless motor wouldnt run off of two escs due to timing.

but a sensed.....i thought would do the timing ok, i guess not. :(

another motor for 2wd would add extra weight, so it looks like ill have to buy me a better esc if i want more torque.

Back