KLS7230H erratic rpm top end throttle only on motor change direction

pizzy00

100 µW
Please help if anyone knows what to do I don’t know if this needs a new firmware or what. I have tried swapping the hall sensor wires around multiple configurations and I have had no luck.
Here is a video showing the issue.
https://youtu.be/zaSQ_iGRSSo

If there is any way to route the hall wires physically separated from the phase wires, for as much of the length from controller to motor as possible, I'd try that first. Next is to add electrical (RF) shielding around the hall wires, grounded only at the controller end. It's not uncommon for induced currents from phase wires into hall wires to create spurious signals, and for some reason Kelly and Sabvoton (and whatever cyclone uses) are overly sensitive to hall signal problems.

Sometimes small ceramic (not electrolytic) capacitors (0.1uf or so) from the hall ground to each hall signal, may help with noise, too. Try it at controller end first, and if that doesn't help you might have to try at motor end.

Also, you may have to successfully run the Hall Angle Identification procedure for the direction of motor spin that you're going to use. From the posts/threads I've read so far including the Kelly site it seems to be necessary to get any of their controllers to work right with any particular motor--just manually setting things up doesn't seem to do it. However, this procedure also seems to break controllers, so keep that in mind as well. :/

Thanks for reply. I have reran the angle identification process with it set to this direction. I will try your other suggestions. I happen to be getting another one of these same motors tomorrow also curious how it will perform.

I got a second motor it behaves the exact same way. I got some hall sensors gonna try moving them to front of motor and run seperate from phase wires. Been talking with Kelly support Fany and he suggested running an OSC on everything. Also said a previous customer removed some rotor material from in-between magnet, I did that also but no chnage.

Sounds like one direction is retarded timing and the other advanced but both the wrong timing. I know users here with kelly kls has had issues driving the small block / big block type motors (cheap square wave motors) and this motor looks similar.

Is this the best hall/phase wire combination you’ve gotten?

If nothing else works and you like the kellys then you could try one of their square wave controllers (even though you’ll always get the square wave noise from it.)

If it is a timing issue, you could see it by using an oscilloscope on a phase and it's associated hall signal; they should be aligned (although I don't know the exact alignment, there are a number of controller development threads here with good scope images of what you should see), and the other phases and their halls should be aligned exactly the same timing from each other. If the hall signals are not all the same, it will cause the controller to fire those phases incorrectly, which will cause the motor to spin incorrectly.

There are motors like the Revolt that have poor hall positioning that create either poor timing or poor signal quality; if your motor is like this, then it can be corrected, but will require determining the problem first.

Another potential issue is the way the motor is designed, electrically/magnetically. When a motor is spun mechanically from an external source, it will create a specific waveform on the phases. At least sometimes, if the driving waveform is sufficiently different from this waveform, then the motor may not behave as expected under some driven conditions. So...some motors may work better on a trapezoidal waveform controller than they do on a sinusoidal waveform controller, and vice-versa. Which ones and how much better, I don't know--there have been discussions about it here, but not a great deal of well-documented experimental testing.

Thanks for info guys. I tried replacing hall sensor and moved them all around never got it working solid. I have ordered the KBS72121X controller to test it uses square wave. Fany from Kelly support said it may work better. Also messaged a guy on youtube and he has a similar motor uses that controller and works good he says he doesn't have rpm issues. I may order a sabvoton controller also but is sine wave also.

I did put 1k stepup resistors on each hall sensor and 5v and .1 ceramic capacitors on ground also no change.

Also side note I tested another motor same type had same issues. Also tested a 48v version of motor had same issue.

Sure I definitely will. I put my KLS7230H on ebay to recoup some money. Gonna put my vesc back on it while I wait for the sabvoton and kelly kbs controllers. Was reading some about sabvoton and I guess most ones on market are knocks off which is ok if they work also seems to use foc for part of control which ia promising.

Back