Crystalyte Hub Motor - Which Controller?

RedRock

1 µW
I just purchased a used ICE recumbent trike with an older Crystalyte X-5304R72-D motor. It’s a rear hub brushless motor. Specs are 390 rpm 20A 48v. It’s a heavy trike as the motor is 23 lbs.! I’d like eventually change the motor. It came with a rather heavy/large 13”x 6” x 5” 36v 15ah battery and 36v controller. I’d like to use a smaller 52v Luna Wolf battery so I can lighten up the load and move the battery to a better location. The current battery uses a lot of real estate as its strapped to the back of the seat. I weigh 195 and ride on paved and crushed rock paths, sometimes on packed dirt. I occasionally travel up some fairly steep grades. I realize that I may need a new cycle analyst and throttle. I do want the capability of adjusting the settings and also want to use full throttle if needed. What is a good smaller controller to use that can handle the 52v battery?

Note to moderator: I meant to post this message under the Technical forum. Can you please move it? Thx.

I bought one of these from Grin years ago and it has served me well. I got a large collection of ebike parts used and within it was both the same wheel you have (X5304) and another controller that is almost the same as the one I bought from Grin. I'm literally in the middle of rewiring the phase wires on the motor but I plan on using one of those controllers with my 52v battery with this wheel.

https://ebikes.ca/c4825-gr.html

Thank you. I will check out Grin. I’m curious if the 48volt controller will work on the 52 volt battery.

RedRock said:
Thank you. I will check out Grin. I’m curious if the 48volt controller will work on the 52 volt battery.

Yes it does. They sold me a 52V battery with the controller. The controller I have is 25 amps but they have/had ones that went up to 40 amps iirc. If you have the money for it, the Phase runner is a great option.

Thank you. I have looked at Phaserunner and like it. However, I would need to buy a new display which would be the Cycle Analyst which has a large horizontally-positioned display. I am mounting this on a recumbent trike and don’t have much space for the display. Are there any other compatible smaller displays?

Back