Mxus 3K temperature sensor help?

Eastwood

100 kW
So the mxus has a white temperature sensor wire but my controller doesn’t support temperature function. So I’m looking for a small display for the temperature.
Is there a way to connect a Small temperature display to the white wire? I need a digital meter that displays the temperature that’s not connected to the controller.

Do you use the Cycle Analyst v3? If so, it can monitor some types of sensors (the most recent firmware added at least one).

Otherwise, anything that can monitor the type of sensor your specific motor has can be used. Older ones often used the KTY83 sensor, but not all did and I don't know what they use now.

You'll need to know the specifics about your sensor before you can pick a monitor for it, since you'll need to setup any multi-sensor capable unit for that one, and/or need to get a monitor that specifically does just that one (or rather, one with the same characteristics).

If it's not the KTY83, then it is probably a similar NTC 10k thermistor, but there are different betas and base resistances.

amberwolf said:
Do you use the Cycle Analyst v3?

No I have a sabvoton controller and its the 80amps version, the only version that doesn’t support temperature function lol

amberwolf said:
You'll need to know the specifics about your sensor before you can pick a monitor for it, since you'll need to setup any multi-sensor capable unit for that one, and/or need to get a monitor that specifically does just that one (or rather, one with the same characteristics)

Yes this is along the lines I was thinking of trying to figure out what Sensor it is to see if I can find the appropriate display. I’m sure they have to make just a standalone temperature display for my particular temp sensor. I’ll do some digging and try to figure out what sensor I have

markz said:
Some of the cheaper bbq temp guages with lcd have a small screen.
Check ebay and amazon.

I wonder if this will work? It has 1 wire not 2 but I have no idea if the actual temperature probes works the same. I guess I could cut off the probe and connect it and see if it works but I’m gonna keep looking for more options.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Tester-Car-Digital-LCD-Temperature-Thermometer-Meter-Temp-Sensor-Probe-USA-/274662722458?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

You gotta figure out where the probe goes on the windings, bring the wires out of the axle slot and up to your handlebars.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24982&p=360844&hilit=temp#p361292

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20597&p=300105&hilit=temp#p300166

markz said:
You gotta figure out where the probe goes on the windings, bring the wires out of the axle slot and up to your handlebars.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24982&p=360844&hilit=temp#p361292

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20597&p=300105&hilit=temp#p300166

You mean to find the temp wire or? If that’s what you’re referring to the mxus 3k turbo has a white temperature wire built-in. Actually it has two of them because it has two sets of hall sensors. Right now the two white wires are just not connected.

Eastwood said:
markz said:

You mean to find the temp wire or? If that’s what you’re referring to the mxus 3k turbo has a white temperature wire built-in. Actually it has two of them because it has two sets of hall sensors. Right now the two white wires are just not connected.

Well if the temp sensor is the right one, motor temp component and your ebay bbq temp, you could wire it up to the already in place wire. Or like the link said, hook it up to the axle and add 40 degrees. I'd also do a lot of touching the cover plates until you know what to add.

Eastwood said:
amberwolf said:

No I have a sabvoton controller and its the 80amps version, the only version that doesn’t support temperature function lol
The controller has nothing to do with whether or not you use the Cycle Analyst (it is not a controller, but it can be used with any controller, or even on non-ebikes), so the question still stands. ;)

Eastwood said:
the mxus 3k turbo has a white temperature wire built-in. Actually it has two of them because it has two sets of hall sensors. Right now the two white wires are just not connected.
Each set of hall/temp sensors is independent/isolated from the other set. Use one set, forget the other set (that's backup in case you have a failure).

The halls and temp sensor share a common ground. So your temp sensor will be the white and black wires.

I can't tell you what sensors come in the MXUS3k, because the fuckers didn't put any in mine and I had to install my own and rewire accordingly.

amberwolf said:
Eastwood said:
amberwolf said:

The controller has nothing to do with whether or not you use the Cycle Analyst (it is not a controller, but it can be used with any controller, or even on non-ebikes), so the question still stands. ;)

Ahh yes, Thanks for clarifying! I use a 750c Color display with my Sabvoton. I considered using the analyst but I can’t get over the look and screen display LOL not to knock the product tho as it has great functions.

serious_sam said:
Eastwood said:
the mxus 3k turbo has a white temperature wire built-in. Actually it has two of them because it has two sets of hall sensors. Right now the two white wires are just not connected.
Each set of hall/temp sensors is independent/isolated from the other set. Use one set, forget the other set (that's backup in case you have a failure).

The halls and temp sensor share a common ground. So your temp sensor will be the white and black wires.

I can't tell you what sensors come in the MXUS3k, because the fuckers didn't put any in mine and I had to install my own and rewire accordingly.

Do you have the V3? Thankfully mine came with the temp wires installed.

markz said:
Eastwood said:
markz said:

Well if the temp sensor is the right one, motor temp component and your ebay bbq temp, you could wire it up to the already in place wire. Or like the link said, hook it up to the axle and add 40 degrees. I'd also do a lot of touching the cover plates until you know what to add.

Yeah for sure! I’m probably obsessively stopping and touching the side plates to check the heat build up LOL thankfully this 3K sheds heat better than my old motor but I’m still going to put the HubSink’s and Statorade. I have a bout 3ml Of statorade left I can use for now but need to order more. Now I have to drill a hole in the side of my new motor LOL well much easier than opening it

Eastwood said:
Ahh yes, Thanks for clarifying! I use a 750c Color display with my Sabvoton. I considered using the analyst but I can’t get over the look and screen display LOL not to knock the product tho as it has great functions.
Well, the one doesn't preclude the other, if there are functions in the CA that you need to use that aren't available via your other equipment. You can't use the CA to do what the controller display does, because the CA doesnt' communicate with any controller, it is it's own separate computer for the functions it performs. It does not even have to be visible on the bike, unless you need to see any of the data it displays during a ride.

If you don't need to ever see it's data, and just use it for it's other features, you can even run it "headless", taking it out of it's casing and cutting the display off, and the actual MCU board is small enough to install inside many controller casings.

If you dont need the data during a ride but do want to log it, you can run headless and use something like the Analogger to capture the serial data stream from it, and view that on a computer later.

In either case, the serial-usb cable and the computer setup program are used to change settings on the CA.

There are also several projects in various states for android (and perhaps some for iphone) that use a BT-serial adapter on teh CA to send the serial stream to an android device to display on that device's screen in graphical format. At least one also was going to (dunno if it was finished) be able to change CA settings (like the PC setup program does), but this requires a reboot of the CA at the end, so isn't normally usable while riding.

Eastwood said:
Now I have to drill a hole in the side of my new motor LOL well much easier than opening it
If you drill a hole in the cover without removing the cover, you're going to have be very careful where you drill it, and how far in you go, and will need to take great care not to allow any of the metal from the hole to get inside the motor (where it will end up between the magnets and laminations and grind against them, turning itself into powder and damaging the magnet coatings that keep them from corroding from moisture, etc.).

amberwolf said:
Eastwood said:
Now I have to drill a hole in the side of my new motor LOL well much easier than opening it
If you drill a hole in the cover without removing the cover, you're going to have be very careful where you drill it, and how far in you go, and will need to take great care not to allow any of the metal from the hole to get inside the motor (where it will end up between the magnets and laminations and grind against them, turning itself into powder and damaging the magnet coatings that keep them from corroding from moisture, etc.).

Yes definitely got to be careful drilling holes. My last motor Turned it upside down to drill it and also had a vacuum hose positioned right below the drill bit. I was able to safely create a small hole without any shavings entering the hub motor. I did it on the opposite side from the hall sensor.

But I have read recently that mxus sometimes doesn’t seal their motors, if that’s the case I might consider opening it and sealing it up after.

amberwolf said:
If you don't need to ever see it's data, and just use it for it's other features, you can even run it "headless", taking it out of it's casing and cutting the display off, and the actual MCU board is small enough to install inside many controller casings.

Nice, I like that idea! I’ll consider this.

amberwolf said:
In either case, the serial-usb cable and the computer setup program are used to change settings on the CA.

There are also several projects in various states for android (and perhaps some for iphone) that use a BT-serial adapter on teh CA to send the serial stream to an android device to display on that device's screen in graphical format. At least one also was going to (dunno if it was finished) be able to change CA settings (like the PC setup program does), but this requires a reboot of the CA at the end, so isn't normally usable while riding.

Thanks for the information!

Is there a way to connect the one wire temp sensor that’s in the hub motor to a two wire temp display? I’ve tried it but I can’t get the temperature reading to appear. I tried connecting the one wire to both connections on the display that didn’t work, I also tried connecting the one wire to one of the terminals and still didn’t get a reading. Does anyone have any experience with this?
I’m sure there’s some electric gurus on here that make sense of this :lol:

Thanks guys!

Here’s a picture of the actual display. I can’t believe I found a cheap temp display from China that measures in Fahrenheit!
I really like the look of this temp display so hopefully I can get it to work with the temp sensor that’s already installed in my hub motor. If not I might consider still using it and just connecting it to the axle or something.

Attachments

• 8F969530-3374-45A5-95B9-9F0679AAC334.jpeg
    8F969530-3374-45A5-95B9-9F0679AAC334.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 586
It's not one wire, it's two--you can't get a signal without a reference unless it's a radio antenna. :)

It uses (usually) the ground in the sensor/signal cable as the other wire. (a very very few motors may use the 5v line instead, but this is uncommon).

amberwolf said:
radio antenna. :)

:lol: :lol:

amberwolf said:
It's not one wire, it's two--you can't get a signal without a reference unless it's a radio antenna. :)

Well the white wire coming from the motor it’s just a single wire. Well there are two sets of hall sensors and they both include the white wire... but maybe the ground wire is just left in the hub and only the white wire comes out?

Do you think it’s possible to connect this temp display? 😅

amberwolf said:
ground in the sensor/signal cable as the other wire.

Are you saying the actual sensor is the ground?

Eastwood said:
-
Well the white wire coming from the motor it’s just a single wire. Well there are two sets of hall sensors and they both include the white wire... but maybe the ground wire is just left in the hub and only the white wire comes out?

No, the ground of the *entire* sensor/signal cable is shared among *all* sensors/signals in the entire cable.

So you have to split that ground so the controller gets one and so does the temperature monitor.

amberwolf said:
Eastwood said:
-

No, the ground of the *entire* sensor/signal cable is shared among *all* sensors/signals in the entire cable.

So you have to split that ground so the controller gets one and so does the temperature monitor.

What ground wire would I split since there’s no ground wire coming from the motor?

So the temperature wire coming from the temperature display has two wires, one is a ground and the other one reads the voltage. I tried wiring the negative terminal from the temp wire to the ground of the controller and then I connected the actual temperature wire coming from the motor to the temp sensor but still no reading.

So I found some pictures of the thermistor installed inside the motor but I still don’t understand why there’s only one wire coming out of the motor?? :| It seems like there would be two wires coming out of the motor like you’re suggesting…

Attachments

• D9665669-1481-4540-8E92-FAA97A3EB60B.jpeg
    D9665669-1481-4540-8E92-FAA97A3EB60B.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 499
  • C371D8A9-3485-4AE8-A4BC-1A4EA5EF8CA1.jpeg
    C371D8A9-3485-4AE8-A4BC-1A4EA5EF8CA1.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 499
Back