Trying to be safe with a 5000w Enduro frame DIY build

zeddrick

1 mW
I've had my first and only ebike (1200w DD rear hub w/ 48v20ah bat, 30a controller) for a year now. It's on a rigid Schwinn 80's mtb frame, 26x2.00 slick tires, it gets up to 30mph on flats, 10mph up my steepest hills. I do food delivery and am surrounded by moderately steep hills and really want a avg speed, hill speed, and comfort upgrade. I want to build a new bike from an enduro frame since they are affordable and seem good for full suspension on-road usage.

I want to pair the enduro frame with 5000w DD motor or bare-minimum 3000w DD. My question is what wheels would be safe/suitable for 3000/5000w road use? I've read conflicting opinions on whether 26" double-wall bicycle wheels are safe for 3k/5k motors going 40+mph.

I personally believe it’s time to go to motorcycle rims/tires when you go with a heavy hub. Switching over is life changing as far as bicycles goes. They last for ever, soften the blow of 25 to 40 lb hub motors and traction for days, and days. They really inspire confidence and flats get removed from your vocabulary.

The extra weight is a non eventful since the power makes it go away. Picture of my bike for reference. I have 17 rear and 19 inch front with Shinko 241 tires.

Tom

Attachments

• F1F53019-CB6B-4234-B5F6-8D959DBD6004.jpeg
    F1F53019-CB6B-4234-B5F6-8D959DBD6004.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 269
I feel safe up to 35 mph on the street with Schalwbe Marathon tires, and have never had a flat, but any faster wouldn't. If you want the extra power for hills only, you might consider adding a front motor. I did that to a 1000w DD and the extra power for acceleration was considerable. Most (all) enduro frames will have an aluminum rear triangle, and IMO you'll need a secure mounting / torque arm system for safety with a big motor.

litespeed said:
I personally believe it’s time to go to motorcycle rims/tires when you go with a heavy hub. Switching over is life changing as far as bicycles goes. They last for ever, soften the blow of 25 to 40 lb hub motors and traction for days, and days. They really inspire confidence and flats get removed from your vocabulary.

The extra weight is a non eventful since the power makes it go away. Picture of my bike for reference. I have 17 rear and 19 inch front with Shinko 241 tires.

Tom

Hey Tom,

I have a similar frame and have the qs205 motor. I’m trying to build some moto wheels but can’t figure out what to order (rim and spoke measurements) and where to order from. Would you mind sharing what rim size and brands you used, what spoke lengths and where I might buy them?

Love the look of the smaller 17” rim on the rear with the 19” on the front.

zeddrick said:
I've had my first and only ebike (1200w DD rear hub w/ 48v20ah bat, 30a controller) for a year now. It's on a rigid Schwinn 80's mtb frame, 26x2.00 slick tires, it gets up to 30mph on flats, 10mph up my steepest hills. I do food delivery and am surrounded by moderately steep hills and really want a avg speed, hill speed, and comfort upgrade. I want to build a new bike from an enduro frame since they are affordable and seem good for full suspension on-road usage.

I want to pair the enduro frame with 5000w DD motor or bare-minimum 3000w DD. My question is what wheels would be safe/suitable for 3000/5000w road use? I've read conflicting opinions on whether 26" double-wall bicycle wheels are safe for 3k/5k motors going 40+mph.

Hey, from my experience I’d definitely go with moto wheels. I have a 5kw enduro ebike. I also decided on 26” wheels. Big mistake. I’m not kidding when I say that every other ride, I have to tighten spokes... and about once every other week, I have to re-true my back wheel. High speeds with such a heavy bike demand stronger wheels. I wish I had figured this out from the get go cuz now I’m pulling my hair out trying to find the right rims and spokes to re-lace my motor. Plus I’m gonna end up spending at least 250+ in new rims/spokes and tires... when I could have just ordered them from the start. Now shipping cost from overseas is gonna be outrageous.

I too plan on doing food delivery... I will probably need to start before I get the new wheels unfortunately.

Back