issues w/ replacement bafang hub motor axles. sigh.

woofnbike

100 mW
this is a continuation of an earlier thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=111478

when we left off, i'd bought a replacement motor (used) and swapped the guts into the motor that i'd fried, no issues there. but ... the exposed axles on the old motor were 1.5" long per side whereas on the new motor they're 1" per side. as well: for some reason, the new motor sits like its fatter in the fork and i can't get the wheel to turn freely due to binding with the disc brake pads, which i've opened up to the max.

1/ where the connector wire comes out of the new motor, i can't put a washer or anything on the axle on the inside of the fork because the motor won't sit flat due to the way the cable exits the motor housing.  that also means i can't use the washer with the sticky-out bit inside the fork on this side.
2/ i can use it on the other side, but the moment i tight everything down, the brake binds on the wheel.
3/ as long as i don't tighten up the nuts, the wheel will spin freely but, like i said, once i tighten them up, it's no go.
4/ along w/ the other photos, i've attached one of the washers w the prong. on the old motor, i could put one of those washers snug up against the motor, one on each side, and tighten up the nuts w/ no issues. question: how critical are those washers to the safety of the installed wheel? as it stands, i can do one on the inside, one on the outside.

anyway, could i get a lil help here? don't know what to do or try next. and whether i should worry about the the wire getting cut or damaged if i can't space things out with washers. it did have a kind of circular rubber thing pressed up against the motor but i had to move that up the cable to get the motor to sit properly in the fork.

thanks!

p.s. i had two fried motors, hence i'm able to show photos of an old motor still attached to a wheel.

20210510_172014_compress58(1).jpg

20210510_172222_compress20.jpg

20210512_100925_compress47.jpg

20210512_101355_compress8.jpg

20210512_101514_compress53.jpg

20210512_101714_compress99.jpg

20210512_101904_compress62.jpg

20210512_101948_compress3.jpg

When I've used Jump bike Bafang motors, I put a C washer on the cable side, to avoid pinching the cable and to provide a decent surface for the fork tip to bear on. On the other side, I use a hardened 7/16" SAE flat washer. I put the tabbed washers on the outside, under the axle nuts.

brilliant. thanks a bunch, ya'll. not sure if that'll help the binding issue but i'll check it out using your suggestions for the washers.

Back