KT36/48 ZWSRD Sondors Luna Controller Wiring Help

Hello everyone. Bought 2 of these KT36 controllers. Having trouble with wiring.

To a 5 wire SW900 display I get power but ERROR 10. No response from throttle to motor.

The motor phase and hall wires are in a HIGO and ao does mt motor so all good there.

Changed battery and controller to soldered XT60s so all good there.

I believe these Sondors hot rod controllers have an on-off switch. This could be my problem.

How would you wire this to a 5-wire SW900, 3 wire throttle, PAS setup?

Here is a write up on this controller from a luna customer with clues:

"

I'm going to explain the plug color/ amount of pins for each connector and then what each individual wire for that connector corresponds to... The longest/ biggest wire is the 5 hall wires plus the 3 motor phase wires and a white wire that I believe is either a temp or rpm input (this wire does not have to be connected for controller to work unless you're using features other than the bare minimum to make controller work with throttle like I did).. The next connector is a yellow 3 pin connector that I believe is the input for the pas sensor.. Again I did not use this as I was wiring mine for a twist (hall) type throttle... Next you have red and black power wires for battery power in.. next there is two red 2 pin connectors for you're brake cutoffs.. The next one is a green 5 pin connector inside that there is yellow and green rx and tx communication wires for the display, a ground for the display and a red wire that just loops to the next connector down the list. Those 4 are not needed if you're not going to use the display. The last wire on the green connector is blue and it's the one you have to put full battery power to in order to power on controller.. This is where I put my on off switch at. The last connector is black with 6 pins. Red, white and black are you're throttle wires. Blue and green just loop to the red wire from the previous connector and yellow is full battery power.. this is the one I used to get voltage for my on off switch going to the blue wire to power controller on."

Attachments

• 20210529_113631.jpg
    20210529_113631.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,244
  • 20210529_113541.jpg
    20210529_113541.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,242
  • 20210529_113443.jpg
    20210529_113443.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,244
  • 20210529_113440.jpg
    20210529_113440.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,241
  • 20210529_113435.jpg
    20210529_113435.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,242
KT controllers talk to KT displays, that's it to my knowledge. Even if you get another brand to power up, the serial interface is wrong and they will not communicate with each other.

Yep. That SW900 has the same wiring as a KT display but not the same command protocol. so it powers up, but then the KT controller ignores its commands.

On the other hand, if they are powered up. many KT controllers have enough functionality that the throttle will work and you a default pedal assist level. I believe you''ll get this using the SW900.

The controller power up procedure is first the display turns on using power(red) and ground (black). Then it applies battery power to the blue lead, and this powers up the controller. The other two leads, green and yellow are used to exchange serial data. All your displays works like this, and since they have the same wiring, the SW900 should power up your KT controllers. I

You probably got a shorting plug with your KT controller? It does the same thing, jumpering battery power on the red wire to the blue wire. The other jumper shorts one of the data leads to ground. So put in the shorting plug and ride your bikes while you order two KT displays.

Thanks for this! I didn't get a shorting plug. This was a Luna "as is" sale on their Sondors hop up controllers. So ill have to do some jumpers tonight and try this again.

Can you be specific about what i need to jumper to what?

Note: on 6 wire plug (plugs are now removed and wires stripped), yellow wire is full battery power. On 5 wire bundle, blue wire blue is the one i have to put full battery power to in order to power on controller.

Ill order a pair of kt displays right now.

Thanks!

docw009 said:
Yep. That SW900 has the same wiring as a KT display but not the same command protocol. so it powers up, but then the KT controller ignores its commands.

On the other hand, if they are powered up. many KT controllers have enough functionality that the throttle will work and you a default pedal assist level. I believe you''ll get this using the SW900.

The controller power up procedure is first the display turns on using power(red) and ground (black). Then it applies battery power to the blue lead, and this powers up the controller. The other two leads, green and yellow are used to exchange serial data. All your displays works like this, and since they have the same wiring, the SW900 should power up your KT controllers.

You probably got a shorting plug with your KT controller? It does the same thing, jumpering battery power on the red wire to the blue wire. The other jumper shorts one of the data leads to ground. So put in the shorting plug and ride your bikes while you order two KT displays.

I didnt reliaze that the kt display was needed with kt36 controllers. Explains my problem. Thanks.

AHicks said:
KT controllers talk to KT displays, that's it to my knowledge. Even if you get another brand to power up, the serial interface is wrong and they will not communicate with each other.

R1200GSjohn said:
Can you be specific about what i need to jumper to what?

Perhaps this will help explain a KTxxxx controller display bypass...

MyVDzQQ.jpg

Regards,
T.C.

Thanks guys. This shorting didn't work for me unfortunately. With or without the sw900 the bike wont move. I dont know what is missing with this luna controller (2 of them, not just 1) - something odd with the sondors display or the power switch wiring (to get display powered on requires connecting yellow wire from one bundle to blue of another bundle...). Want to get back riding with electric assist so I'm buying a BBSHD to put on a nice trek road bike i already have. Death trap in 7 days!

Back