What kind of motor set up would I be able to run off two 36v 10Ah batteries in series??

Peelio

1 µW
First off I am very new to all this.
I have the opportunity to buy two of these https://www.dicksmith.com.au/da/buy...Edz4OOkvozeqxFJVGz3RvwSSD8qd__DcaApMWEALw_wcB 36v 10Ah batteries for around half price each and I'm wondering what motors I could run off them.

I can't find much information about these online but I'm assuming they can supply a continuous 15A (idrk if thats a reasonable guess or not)

So, I'm thinking if I ran them in series I could power a 1000w motor, the only problem is all the 1000w motors I can find are all 48v, would it be fine to just use one of these or would that kill the motor/controller.

I also looked for some 72v motors but they are all around the 3000w range which would require a current draw of around 42A which I think will probably destroy my batteries.

I guess what I'm asking is what would be my ideal, cheap but also kind of powerfull set-up??

Also sorry if this is not the right place to ask this question, while I was doing some looking online I came across this board alot so I thought why not give it a stab.

The motor doesn't really have a voltage; it has RPM per volt, and torque per amp. The motor's rated power isn't how much power it consumes; it's how much power it can produce without overheating. It will only consume as much power as the controller provides it.

To use the batteries you've linked, you'd need a 72V capable controller that can be restricted to the maximum current capacity of the batteries (probably 20A, but maybe less). That's not a common item, and controllers with that kind of configurability tend to be not-cheap.

If the batteries really can support a continuous 20A, then at 72V you'd have 1440W of electrical power, and about 1000W at the wheel if everything works relatively nicely together.

Note that 72 volts will make whatever motor you use turn twice as fast as it would on 36 volts. But it won't have enough power to go twice as fast, so it's likely to run less efficiently, bogged down at a lower fraction of its unloaded speed.

You might consider putting the two batteries in parallel, to make a 36V 20Ah pack that can support twice as much current as the 72V 10Ah pack made from the same two batteries. It could be easier to find suitable motors and controllers for that arrangement.

Chalo said:
You might consider putting the two batteries in parallel, to make a 36V 20Ah pack that can support twice as much current as the 72V 10Ah pack made from the same two batteries. It could be easier to find suitable motors and controllers for that arrangement.
Thank you for the response but I'm still unsure of a couple of things

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I understand this correctly then that would mean that if the batteries were in parallel the countinous discharge would be 40A?

Also I still don't really understand, what would happen if I hooked up the batteries in series to a 3000w motor/controller would it over draw the current from the battery and damage them or would it just not run the motor at full power?

Peelio said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but if I understand this correctly then that would mean that if the batteries were in parallel the countinous discharge would be 40A?

Right, if the max discharge for each battery is 20A. While that's plausible, if the battery is intended for a 200W bike, it might be more limited than that (by cells, cell connections and/or BMS). So, more accurately, putting them in parallel will double whatever continuous discharge one battery can do.

Also I still don't really understand, what would happen if I hooked up the batteries in series to a 3000w motor/controller would it over draw the current from the battery and damage them or would it just not run the motor at full power?

Using a 3000W motor and controller would beat up those batteries. Using a 3000W motor and a controller that's limited to however much power the batteries can supply would only limit the output of the motor.

Don't use a 3000W motor with a low power system. It will be needlessly heavy, draggy, and probably expensive. Motors don't have a native voltage, they only have RPM per volt. So if you want to use a high voltage, use a low RPM per volt motor-- in the appropriate power range.

Back